Skip to main content
Topic: Where to stay on 5 ? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Where to stay on 5 ?
Yahoo Message Number: 49841
Next week we are going to San Diego on 5 from Northern CA. We would like to stop before LA and spend the night and then the next day on to San Diego. Looking at the map there seems to not much. Any recommendations? We have two dogs. Thanks  SR 26.5 MB LD

Re: Where to stay on 5 ?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49847
Next week we are going to San Diego on 5 from Northern CA. We would like to stop before LA and spend the night and then the next day on to San Diego. Looking at the map there seems to not much. Any recommendations?
I have no specific recommendations, but would suggest taking 99 out of Sacramento, instead of I-5. There are more cities, less truck traffic and a smoother road. You join up with 5 before L.A. It is one mile longer.
We travel to Sacramento from Long Beach often, and have given up on I5 through the mid valley. It is boring and the traffic is awful.

Happy traveling,

Chris Hunter

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49848
WHATEVER you do... DO NOT stay at the KOA in Bakersfield!!!   It is the worst dump imaginable.  But you are right, there's not a lot out there on the 5.
- David

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49849
There isn't much in the way of places to stay.  There's a place right next to Knott's Berry Farm.  They're going to build condo's on the property, so they might have closed down by now.
I live at the corner of the 5 & 134 freeway.  You can spend the night in my driveway if you like.  We won't be home, but the spot in the drive is open.  The water is free, but there's no dump & the electricity isn't very close.  But if you have a long cord, you can reach the 15 amp outlet.  It's not much, but it's all I've got to offer.  The drive has some slant to it, there's wood blocks in the carport to put under your tires, or levelers.  It's not so steep that you need them for anything but cement protection.  :-)

Let me know, I'll tell my roomates to expect you.

"rosagypsy1313"  wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 49852
Next week we are going to San Diego on 5 from Northern CA. We would like to stop before LA and spend the night and then the next day on to San Diego. Looking at the map there seems to not much. Any recommendations? We have two dogs. Thanks  SR 26.5 MB LD
If you want the convenience of easy on/off, and don't mind the noise of a truck stop, the Flying-J at Frazier Park exit at the top of the Grapevine is our choice headed north from LA. BUT, there is a huge traffic tie-up due to mudslide repair and rerouting on the 5 southbound at Templin Hwy, about a 1 hr delay or more. This is just a bit north of Castaic. Then, you have to deal with morning rush-hour through the LA metro and Orange County mess. If you can swing a route that takes you down the 15 / 395 rte to San Diego, you will probably save time overall, even with the much longer distance, and save your nerves. The 138 connector over to the 14 and then the Pearblossom Highway to the 15 is the best routing. The 138 is just a bit south of the Frazier Park / Gorman area.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 49857
David,

You might add your avoid recommendation to the 'Campgrounds, Parks, Roads, Bridges, Sites' data base if you haven't done so.

Barry 01RRB TX

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 49860
through the LA metro and Orange County mess. If you can swing a route that takes you down the 15 / 395 rte to San Diego, you will probably save time overall, even with the much longer distance, and save your nerves. The 138 connector over to the 14 and then the Pearblossom Highway to the 15 is the best routing. The 138 is just a bit south of the Frazier Park / Gorman area.
A note, though, to check road closure info on ANY route you plan thru SoCal this year - there have been a lot! The 138 may be closed near the intersection with 18 and also near 15 - check with CHP and Kern Co. Sheriff on any desert alternatives.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Where to stay on 5 ?
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 49865
At 03:32 PM 1/25/2005 +0000, you wrote:

A note, though, to check road closure info on ANY route you plan thru SoCal this year - there have been a lot! The 138 may be closed near the intersection with 18 and also near 15 - check with CHP and Kern Co. Sheriff on any desert alternatives.
Here's a link to a terrific site that updates highway conditions for CA hourly. We used it constantly when planning our San Diego pickup two weeks ago, during the storms. Highways are listed in numerical order.
 http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Where to stay on 5 ?
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 49867
At 03:32 PM 1/25/2005 +0000, you wrote:

A note, though, to check road closure info on ANY  (snip)
You can call Caltran voice activated for road conditions as well.
1-800-427-road (7623)  Joe Hamm

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 49868
Next week we are going to San Diego on 5 from Northern CA. We would like to stop before LA and spend the night and then the next day on to San Diego.
You might take a look at Pyramid Lake State Recreation Area or Castaic Lake State Recreation Area. They are both 40 to 60 miles north of Los Angeles and right on I-5.

I have stayed overnight a couple times at Pyramid Lake, although it has been a number of years ago.  It is a BLM (or BLM type) campground.  Nothing fancy.  I don't think that they had hookups but did have a dump station.  It was operated by a vendor.

I have never been into the Castaic Lake SRA.
 Both of these places are still listed in the AAA Tour Book as having campgrounds.  The main attraction at both places is water activities.

Doug

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 49872
"Next week we are going to San Diego on 5 from Northern CA. We
would like to stop before LA..."

Rosa

In order to avoid that LA insanity do this:

Exit I-5 at Stockdale Highway (Exit 252), go east through Bakersfield onto Rt 58. At the Edison Rd. exit spend the night at the Orange Grove RV Park. You won't be dissapointed, especially now that the oranges are ready to pick.

Next day continue east on 58 over Tehachapi Pass until you reach Kramer Junction. Turn right here onto 395. Follow it south until you intersect I-15. Follow I-15 south to San Diego. Wallah, you've just bypassed the entire LA Basin.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Where to stay on 5 ? - avoiding LA traffic - Calico
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 49875
Rosa

Exit I-5 at Stockdale Highway (Exit 252), go east through Bakersfield onto Rt 58. At the Edison Rd. exit spend the night at the Orange Grove RV Park. You won't be dissapointed, especially now that the oranges are ready to pick.

Next day continue east on 58 over Tehachapi Pass until you reach Kramer Junction. Turn right here onto 395. Follow it south until you intersect I-15. Follow I-15 south to San Diego. Wallah, you've just bypassed the entire LA Basin.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Good advice.
 Have also stayed at Bakersfield Orange Grove RV park and enjoyed it.

If for some reason you want to go through LA, keep in mind that if you camp North of it and head South on a weekday morning you will be in morning rush-hour traffic.  The easiest time to get through LA is late at night. The next easiest is early on a Sunday morning.

There are some campgrounds on I-5, Buttonwillow etc.  I think that if are traveling late at night to stop and get up in the moring to go, we sometime boondock in a small town a few mile off I-5.

I would some day like to visit Calico Ghost town, operated by San Bernardo count parks. They have a campground

http://www.calicotown.com/

It is near I-15, not I-5

Ken of Ken, Patty, & Stephanie in San Diego

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 49882
But DO stay at the Orange Grove CG at the Edison road exit off the Techapi highway, just east of Bakersfield.  The navel oranges are ripe now and they provide pole pickers if they are too high to reach.  Jack

Re: Where to stay on 5 ? -Pyramid Lake
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 49887
I have stayed overnight a couple times at Pyramid Lake, although it has been a number of years ago.  It is a BLM (or BLM type) campground.  Nothing fancy.  I don't think that they had hookups but did have a dump station.  It was operated by a vendor.
I believe the cg is closed. The vendor was fired, and I haven't heard that they found another arrangement.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 49895
In order to avoid that LA insanity do this:
I thought this advise was terrific!  I wonder if we should make a database for others to access to avoid high traffic spots.  I know I do not like driving in heavy traffic and would love to know of alternate routes if they were available.  Last summer I went through Las Vegas twice, the first time was a nightmare with traffic, the second a breeze as I took an alternate route suggested by a friend.
As a novice, use to driving in wide open Wyoming, I'd love that kind of info when traveling.

Just a thought.

Rick Lechner
2015 27' Mid Bath

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Where to stay on 5 ?
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 49903
. . . updates highway conditions for CA hourly. . .
 http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

Well, this sure is timely - thanks! We're 'doing Quartzsite' for a few more days, then Yuma, then heading over to Santa Monica in early February. Your CA road info site is really going to come in handy!

Thanks again - Sarah Quartzsite, AZ

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 49910
Rick,
 We are rather limited on the amount of information that can be shown on one of the Yahoo data bases.  I would recommend making a file for recommended alternate routes rather than a data base.

A question to the moderators.  Can you have sub-folders

Re: Where to stay on 5 ? -Pyramid Lake
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 49915
I believe the cg is closed. The vendor was fired, and I haven't heard that they found another arrangement.

Steve
Thanks for the update on Pyramid Lake.  I'll take if off my "half-day drive from San Diego" list.

Doug

Where to stay on 5 ?
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 49861
--Original Message Text--- From: rosagypsy1313
 Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:39:57 -0000

If you take route 14 , not too far on 58 at Tehachapi there is a good camping with full hook up   at the glider airport , nice view, very quiet.  The name is  Mountain view tel #  661 822 5267 nice place to stay Elisabeth La Roulotte 2002

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Where to stay on 5 ?
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 49862
- Forgot to say there is  dump, very good deli and breakfast.  I think is $12 a night.

If you take route 14 , not too far on 58 at Tehachapi there is a good camping with full hook up   at the glider airport , nice view, very quiet.  The name is  Mountain view tel #  661 822 5267 nice place to stay Elisabeth La Roulotte 2002

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 49878

If you take route 14 , not too far on 58 at Tehachapi there is a
good camping with

full hook up  at the glider airport , nice view, very quiet.  The
name is  Mountain view tel #  661 822 5267

nice place to stay
I've stayed at the glider port also, and I like it.  Furthermore, you could stop to see the trains at the Tehachapi loop.

There is a KOA right on hwy 5 at Lost Hills that might be more convenient.  Cost $25 last spring for full hookup.

John

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 49886
When I drive to LA from No Calif, I stop, coming and going at a KOA in Lost Hills right off of Hwy 5.  The armpit of Hwy 5 I call it.  However the people are nice, placed me by their trailer because I was alone, that kind of made me wonder, but anyway it was convenient.  It is all dirt/sand.   The only place I know of down that way.  There are a couple of big gas stations, trucks stops actually  and some people park at the truck stops.  I think that would be kind of noisy.   There are several fast food restaurants also.   Last year, it was $24 without electricity, $28 with.  Weird (I think) bathrooms and showers.  No windows.  The lights go on when you open the door.  I was afraid they would go off while I was still in there!  Large area, some trees.  All in all, it beats driving all the way thru!

Pat (Mac) Wet and rainy No Calif.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 49888
Last year, on or way south, we stopped at the San Luis RV Resort off of I-5 in Santa Nella.  This is well north, near Las Banos.  It was a fair to good camp very good for an overnight stay.  It's west off of I-5 about 2 miles so it was fairly quiet.  A bit spendy for what it is (a bit more than $30 w/tax).  But, they did have an area where we washed the incredible grim that three days of near-snowy trip over wet sanded roads in Oregon and N. California had put on the coach and toad.

On the way home, we stopped at the Bakersfield Palms RV Resort.
Again, a fair to good place.  It was a bit noisy, being near the train tracks and a main N-S road.  The Orange Grove RV Park sounds nicer.

We also stopped at the Mountain Valley RV Park in Tehachapi.  This place is off south and east of the town near the airport, almost to the south valley wall.  It is very quiet and was also quite cold when we were there in February.  The snow was almost down to us.  It's altitude is about 4200'.

Linley