Skip to main content
Topic: Detailing (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Detailing
Yahoo Message Number: 49693
Hi A question for those LDrs knowledgible on detailing.
If someone gets wax or polish or whatever stains on the non-skid area of the runningboard, is there a good way to clean up the mess? I have wax stains that have been on there for several years.

Thanks for any answer forthcomming.

TJ

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Detailing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49699
Hi Tom:

Had you asked me two weeks ago, I would have said get get some trichloretheline and use a detailing scrub brush, but be careful not to loosen the grit.  But two weeks ago I went to get another can of the stuff and could not find it anywhere!  Ask your hardware guy what is now used to remove wax.  You might then tell me because I only have a little bit of trichlorethelane left.

Gus Weber

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49727
Hi A question for those LDrs knowledgible on detailing.
If someone gets wax or polish or whatever stains on the non-skid area of the runningboard, is there a good way to clean up the mess? TJ
Hi Tom, I remembered someone had a solution for removing polish from the black surface of the mirrors; I believe they used a "white drafting" eraser. If you do a search in Art's searchable database (a remarkable tool!) for drafting eraser, you will find a couple other products mentioned, one of which is a product called "Back to Black". I don't recall that anyone used it on the running board surface though. Good luck.
Steve K. (wondering why is it that polish stays on some surfaces, but needs to be reapplied where we want it to stay?)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49742
If you do a search in Art's searchable database (a remarkable

tool!) for drafting eraser, you will find a couple other products mentioned, one of which is a product called "Back to Black".
"Back to Black" will work on the running boards, but be forewarned, if the coach is new the color will blend well, but will not after the running boards become faded with age.

"Back to Black" is similar to black shoe polish but more permanent.

There are similar products on the market found in many retail auto parts stores.

Malcolm; Now covering mirrors and running boards when detailing.
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 49748
First, test in an inconspicuous place first...

ok, try creamy peanut butter and a toothbrush or potato brush for larger areas (any medium stiffness brush'll do) - works on my Jeep and Avalanche when removing wax from the plastic cladding and trim. Then followup with a good protectant on the mirrors. I don't recommend putting anything on the grips for protection because you'll only track it inside.

No jelly jokes plz :)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 49757
To finish-clean painted surfaces, auto body repair shops use a "clay" which is soft and rubbed over the paint. It removes just about all stains and minute deposits on fine auto finishes.  It is easy to use and does not abrade or scratch the finish.  It is sold in many auto supply shops.  Expensive but a little goes a long way.  I do not remember a brand name but I used some to remove accidental paint overspray from my old Lincoln town car and it left a super smooth finish.

Welcome back, Malcolm.  If you're cleaning up your LD, I guess you must be all moved into your new home.  Or "sort of", anyhow. ;-)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 49771
To finish-clean painted surfaces, auto body repair shops use a "clay"
Griot's Garage, a mail-order place for car fan(atic)s has a great line of cleaning and detailing products: clay (can either be hand-rubbed or used with a small machine for that purpose), various grades of scratch polishes, soaps, waxes,... in fact, just about anything you can think of for your car's TLC. I've used their stuff and recommend it. Great catalog & web site.
 http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

- David

'94 TK on Ebay
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 49785
in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Teal color.  http://tinyurl.com/5b7jf ends 1/27. first time Ebay seller. $16K minimum bid. no bids yet.
May be the perfect rig for someone! Marti in Seattle

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Re: '94 TK on Ebay
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 49787
Thanks so much for the heads-up! This is the right price range and geographic area for me.

Joanne Shoveling 3 feet plus drifts