Skip to main content
Topic: 2-way radios. (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
2-way radios.
Yahoo Message Number: 49557
Bob Siegely wrote:

"Our high-quality Motorola two-way

hand-held radios make that a lot easier. "
Bob, what model Motorola 2-ways do you have. What is their range? Do you highly recommend that model? Thanks.
TJ, Red 23.5TK, dog lover.

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re:2-way radios.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49559
T-7200.  They work extremely well.  We chat very comfortably with one of us driving the LD and the other driving the Wrangler.  Range from inside two steel vehicles is maybe 3/4 of a mile or a mile.  BUT ... to be sure you can talk and hear each other clearly it's best to be with

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re:2-way radios.
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49565
At 07:03 PM 1/18/2005 +0000, you wrote:

T-7200.  They work extremely well.  We chat very comfortably with one of us driving the LD and the other driving the Wrangler.  Range from inside two steel vehicles is maybe 3/4 of a mile or a mile.  BUT ... to be sure you can talk and hear each other clearly it's best to be within eyesight range of the other vehicle. We find that to be no problem.
 The T-7200 is pricey for a handheld. It sells only as a single so two of them add up to $225-$250, as I recall.
I know I must be missing something here, but we just completed a 6-hour drive with my husband driving our new-to-us  LD and me driving our own car behind, using a pair of Radio Shack walkie-talkies that cost me $5 on sale two years ago.
 Before we left, we tested them at about 1.5 miles (me at home,  my husband driving the car until he lost contact with me), but on the road we were in eye contact nearly all the time. They can access 16 channels and have a "save" mode that cuts way down on battery usage between spates of talking.
 I know they don't do anything fancy, but they have performed flawlessly for us for two years of intermittent use. And they're a lot simpler to use (and much lighter) than a regular hand-held CB radio (which we also have).

Just a thought for the budget-minded among us...

Sonsie

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re:2-way radios.
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49578
Sounds as if you got a wonderful deal. I have friends who have tried car-to-car communications with low and medium priced hand-held walkie talkies and have been very frustrated by frequent fade-outs and drop- outs. So I opted for the top Motorola offering and we have been very pleased.  We'd have much preferred to pay $5 instead of $225, but you can't w