Skip to main content
Topic: Best floorplan for a bad knee? (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Best floorplan for a bad knee?
Yahoo Message Number: 49412
As some of you may recall, I posted a couple of questions here a week or two ago, concerning our contemplation of a move from a Roadtrek to a Class C.  The main reason for the change of vehicles is to accomodate my wife's bad knee (three knee surgeries in 2004, including a failed knee replacement; probably two more surgeries including another replacement sometime this year).

The gist of our problem is this: in our Roadtrek, the entire back end of the van becomes a big bed, which is great-- but the only way to get into it is to either "scootch" on your butt, or crawl on your hands and knees.  My wife can no longer do either of those things without a great amount of pain.  She also can't climb a ladder to a cabover bed.
 So, what we're looking for is as small a unit as possible that has a bed (hopefully a sofa that turns into a bed) that she'd be able to get in and out of in much the same manner you do in a bed in a house- - ie, sit on the side of the bed and swing your legs in.  Do any of the LD floor plans (other than the island beds) allow this?  More specifically, when the sofa bed is laid out in bed position in the 23.5 foot models, is there a small aisleway open next to the bed, or is the edge of the bed right up against the dinette/lounge chairs?

If there's no aisle left open, we may have to confine our search to other brands (probably with a slideout to create the aisleway we need).

Oh, and before you ask-- neither of us considers twin beds to be an acceptable alternative.

Thanks for all the advice!

Denny

Re: Best floorplan for a bad knee?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49415
"> So, what we're looking for is as small a unit as possible that has a

bed (hopefully a sofa that turns into a bed) that she'd be able to get in and out of in much the same manner you do in a bed in a
house-

- ie, sit on the side of the bed and swing your legs in.  Do any of the LD floor plans (other than the island beds) allow this?"
We have a 26 RB, with two opposing sofas, instead of barrel chairs.
We use the sofas pulled together to make one large bed. We have also used it as two 'twin' beds by pulling them our part way, leaving an aisle down the middle. I am 6'1" and it works fine for me. After pulling the sofa bottom out, release the backs and drop them down to provide more width.

The option of the opposing sofas is available in several of the models, both 23.5 and 26.5 footers. This configuration seems like it might accomodate your situation.
 Check the floorplans on the Lazy Daze website and if you can see one in person, you could determine how it might work.

Chris Hunter

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49416
Maybe I can give you a little advice,  I am 57 and have the knees
of an 80 year old.  My doctor has said I am facing double replacements.  I really don't want to do this yet.  We have a new (November) 26.5 Midbath.  The couches in the back make into twin beds.  When they are made up (pulled out) we have about 12 inches between them.  I can hold onto the other couch until I get to the wall when I have to get up at night, and I can sit down at the dinnet, when I am in the kitchen.  I love to cook, so it was important to me to be able to function in the kitchen. The handles close to the door help me get in and out.  I don't know if this helps you any, but we love our Cat's Meow.  Also for those who read this, I mean no disrespect to 80 year olds. My mother is 84 and can still dance with the best... I wish I could because I love to dance almost as much as I love to cook.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49420
Hi Denny ---

I had my right knee replaced last June and am getting the left knee replaced next week.  I also have osteoarthritis

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Best floorplan for a bad knee?
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 49429
Hi Denny,
 My wife has bad knees, too, and we just moved up from a used '86 22ft LD to a used '97 30ft IB.  The island bed in the back is great, and the 30ft manuevers just like the 22ft!! She's chomping at the bit for me to retire and do extensive traveling.  We had a 20' Dodge van conversion before that, but gave it up after we got stuck in the aisle . . . we've both lost some weight since then!! .

Wish you the best, Tom & Ginger

flibmeister flibmeister@...> wrote:

As some of you may recall, I posted a couple of questions here a week or two ago, concerning our contemplation of a move from a Roadtrek to a Class C.  The main reason for the change of vehicles is to accomodate my wife's bad knee (three knee surgeries in 2004, including a failed knee replacement; probably two more surgeries including another replacement sometime this year).

Denny

All your favorites on one personal page ' Try My Yahoo!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 49441
Denny,

The 23.5 FL LD model might work for you, if neither of you are very tall.  The sofa that folds out to a double bed is 54"x73".  The sofa in the 26.5' and 30'models is 54"x76" when folded out.  If you choose a plan with the front lounge, with the drop-down table and two barrel chairs, rather than the front dinette version, you should have enough room to easily walk from front to back with the bed in the open position.

It would be a whole lot easier for your wife if the front passenger seat swiveled, as they used to do.  Frankly, getting in and out of that seat is easier for someone without knee problems.  It REALLY would be best if you could find these models in your area and actually try them out for your needs.  What part of the country are you in?  Go to the LD web site:

and compare the floor plans and specs.

Sharon N.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 49452
Barbara,
 Thanks to all for replies, and, Barbara, good luck with the new knee replacement!

I'm a little unclear on exactly how you work this out

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 49464
To all of you that offered advice on floorplans, thank you so much-- for some reason I was locked into the idea of sleeping lengthwise to the chassis, instead of crosswise!  Sleeping crosswise opens up new possibilities-- as you say, with the double sofas folded out to the king size bed, it doesn't matter whether there's an aisle or not-- my wife would be able to roll on-and-off her side of the bed.

We're used to having a large bed (the one on our Roadtrek is 73" X 75") and with "the family" in it (us, plus three small dogs), the idea of going to the 54"x73" of a 23.5 FL doesn't have much appeal.
In fact, if we were to use the bed in our Roadtrek crosswise, it becomes the exact same size (there are some cabinets overhanging your feet when sleeping lengthwise; that area would become unusable when sleeping crosswise).

However, we're going to try that method in a short upcoming trip, just to see how it works out.  Probably won't change our minds about keeping the Roadtrek (it doesn't correct a couple of other characteristics of the rig that we're not fond of), but it will give us a good idea of what the bed in a 23.5 FL would be like, and might make the Roadtrek usable for some short trips during this transition period.

Thanks, again!

Denny

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 49466
Denny,
 Are you only looking at the floorplan for the 23'FL? The 23'TK and FD both have the twin sofas that make into bigger than king beds. The sofas open to either 2 twin beds or one big king. It takes me about 3 minutes to convert the sofas into a bed.

Karen