Skip to main content
Topic: Big Bend National Park (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Big Bend National Park
Yahoo Message Number: 49376
I haven't stopped by and visited this site for a while--been holed up for winter.  My husband and I are planning to leave Minnesota for the month of February.  We are having a friendly disagreement as to where to go.  I want to go to Florida where the odds are it will be warm and nice.  He wants to go to Big Bend National Park in Texas and haul our motorcycles to drive around.  I think it will be too cold in February.
Anyone have any experience with Big Bend in February?

Thanks for any help.

Martha

Re: Big Bend National Park
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49398
Martha,

Haven't been there in Feb, but was there about a week ago. The weather was dry the days we were there. Temp during the day was nice I think in the low 70's but did get cool/cold at nite.

Now we're home back in rainy Florida :)

Sylvia

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49400
wrote: He wants to go to Big Bend National Park in Texas and haul our motorcycles to drive around.  I think it will be too cold in February. Anyone have any experience with Big Bend in February?

I haven't visited Big Bend NP, but here are three sites which might help with your decision:
 http://www.nps.gov/bibe/home.htm

http://www.big.bend.national-park.com/
 http://www.visitbigbend.com/ 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49406
It depends on the cold fronts that come through.  It can be nice with highs in the mid 70s to low 80s or highs in the lows 50s.  Usually, the highs in the 50s do not last long.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 49414
We were there a year ago and had some great times, for example: "A Perfect Day in Big Bend"

best,  paul
Thanks for the photos, Paul and Kathleen.  We may be there the end of March.  Weather should be nearly perfect then.

Chris Horst
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Big Bend National Park
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 49426
Martha Big Bend , OK, Cold in the winter and hot in the summer but a very big and fun place to go and as crazy as the weather has been who knows . By the way there are bears in the mountains, don't feed em. I would vote for Florida and do Big bend in the Spring. Good Luck Robert

marthamarkusen mmarkusen@...> wrote:
 I haven't stopped by and visited this site for a while--been holed up for winter.  My husband and I are planning to leave Minnesota for the month of February.  We are having a friendly disagreement as to where to go.  I want to go to Florida where the odds are it will be warm and nice.  He wants to go to Big Bend National Park in Texas and haul our motorcycles to drive around.  I think it will be too cold in February.

Thanks for any help.

Martha

Robert & Roberta, Rozie and the Horney Toad, SKP#702

Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Big Bend National Park
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 49427
Thanks for all the information on Big Bend weather.  Paul, I loved your pictures.  Does anyone know if there is any Verizon (CDMA) phone service in the park anywhere?  If not, anyone know any place to get on the internet in or near the park?  I have to be in touch with work.

Martha

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Big Bend National Park
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 49451
Barry Barnes wrote: (snip)  When were in Big Bend last year, there was no cell phone coverage at all. . . . They had payphones, but I did not check if they have data ports on them . . .
 Barry, Martha, et. al. There is a phone jack outside near the pay phone at the Forest Service building that's outside of the big campground.
Still no cell service when Pete & I were there a couple of months ago.

Sarah Mz. Daisy Two/Too 2003 26.5' RB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: ABQ,then Quartzsite
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 49468
Sarah & Pete Roberta has a meeting with the Laurel Heights Nurseing Home on then 21st time and leingth of meeting we don't know at this time. Both of us are ready to go we packed the rig couple of loose ends tomorrow, propane, invertor for lap top and we are ready, Roberta "says lets hit the road horney toad" so cancell ojo-test tomorrow and we're out a here.
Robert & Roberta Rozie & The Horney Toad SKP702 PS: Any Suggestions on where to park at Q

Robert & Roberta, Rozie and the Horney Toad, SKP#702

All your favorites on one personal page ' Try My Yahoo!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 49544
We may be there the end of March.  Weather should be nearly perfect then.
Be prepared for hot or cold at that time of year.  We've been to Big Bend on two separate occasions -- both in March -- one year it was sunny, warm and near 80° during the day.  The other year it snowed on us with lows below 30°.  Both times we were backpacking and had to carry lots of gear to be prepared for either type of weather.  BTW -- although bitterly cold on the trip when it snowed, it was spectacular to see the area dusted with snow and worth every one of those ten thousand shivering goosebumps that I had.  One hilarious outcome of snow on the trails was the muddy clay that was created when the snow melted.  It accumulated on the bottom of our hiking boots and wouldn't come off.  At the end of each day we were all about 3" taller because of the mud caked on our boots.  Ahhh yes, the good old days when my body wouldn't protest so loudly about sleeping on the ground.

Chris W.

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] LD Naming Contest
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 49547
we're out a here.
Robert & Roberta Rozie & The Horney Toad SKP702
Well, darn it.  As winner of the "Name the LD" contest, I was hoping to join up with you two at the Tamale King for a great dinner.  I guess we'll have to wait until you return from your travels.  We'll probably be in Austin until the end of April and then.....hmm, who knows where.

Chris W. (still recovering from the past 3 months of preparing for full-time RVing, but loving every minute of it.)

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 49567
PS: Any Suggestions on where to park at Q

Do you have to have hookups?
 If so, you might have a hard time finding an RV Park with space at this late date, but you may luck out and get a spot.
 However, if you can dry camp, then there's LOTS of BLM land around here to park on!
 Below is a website that will give you the directions to all the BLM land around Quartzsite -- both the free areas and the LTVA's (Long Term Visitors Area) which do charge a fee ($30 for 14 days, or $140 for a 7-month period -- from September 15 through April 15).  You have access to free fresh water and a dump at the LTVA's; otherwise, you'll have to go elsewhere to dump and take on fresh water, or have one of the services come out to dump your tanks and supply you with fresh water (pretty expensive).
 http://www.goldledge.com/features/docs_html/qblm_camping.html

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 49603
. . .  Any Suggestions on where to park at Q . . .
 If you want hook-ups, I don't have any recommendations - haven't ever used them. We'll park out on Palmosa Road - about 2 miles north of the main intersection downtown. It's free BLM. We'll park with the WINs or the SKPs. I think we're going to meet up with Linda and Earl. They're going out to camp with the SKP boondockers. I'm sure we'll go out there for a while.
 When you get within a day of getting there, give us a call - that is, if you want to boondock. Even if you don't, call anyhow. We HAVE to get together for dinner - gabbing - etc.

Sarah Cell 505-263-8889 Taking off tomorrow (Thursday) after my doctor's appointment. Yee-hah!!

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 49612
I think we're going to meet up with Linda and Earl. They're going out to camp with the SKP boondockers.

Actually, we're hanging out with the SKP Boomers on BLM east of town (south of the Scadden Wash free 14-day BLM area).  We've been here since Saturday, and will be here probably another 5 days.
 There's one other LD that just came in yesterday afternoon, so I'll have to go down and find out who they are.  I've seen several other LD's around town, but haven't had the chance to stop and find out who they were.
 Maybe we could all get together for a Lazy Daze mini-GTG!  My cell phone number is 928-916-1806.  If there are any other LDers here in Quartzsite, give us a call!  (Jo, we're going to make it out to visit you one of these days.  How about coming out to a Boomer Happy Hour at 4:00?)

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton