Skip to main content
Topic: 12V DVD/CD/MP3/JPEG/you name it player (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
12V DVD/CD/MP3/JPEG/you name it player
Yahoo Message Number: 49191
Somebody was asking about 12V DVD players recently. Well, here's one for $37.99 (with free shipping) at Amazon that performed very well in my tests: http://tinyurl.com/ 6xd3j>.
 It comes with both 12VDC and 120VAC adapters and a nice wireless remote, and can play just about anything you can put on a CD or DVD, including movies, audio CDs, compressed MP3 audio files, and even JPEG images from digital cameras.
 A few of the reviews on amazon's page complained of overheating, but only when running on AC--not 12VDC. In any case, the unit I received came with a redesigned AC power supply, and there was no hint of overheating in my extended testing. I got the unit for an RVing friend who has no DVD player, and after checking it out pretty thoroughly I passed it on to her. She's been delighted with it.
 Good features, good performance and a good value--that gets my vote!

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: 12V DVD/CD/MP3/JPEG/you name it player
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49203
 Subject: 12V DVD/CD/MP3/JPEG/you name it player

Somebody was asking about 12V DVD players recently. Well, here's one for $37.99 (with free shipping) at Amazon that performed very well in my tests:
http://tinyurl.com/ 6xd3j>.
Did you read the reviews Andy?

At least half of the reviewers couldn't even get it to work. Might explain why it is offerred at a 62% discount.

You were fortunate.
--

John

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49204
Somebody was asking about 12V DVD players recently. Well, here's
one for $37.99 (with

free shipping) at Amazon that performed very well in my tests:
6xd3j>.

Andy Baird[/quote] Hi Andy, I rushed to Amazon but cannot find anything for 37.99.
$59.99for an Apex with terrible reviews but nothing about overheating. What brand is the one you bought please? Ta very much, SC

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49213
We use the 17" mac to play DVD's (well, Mimi does, I rarely watch movies) but what would be worth buying a separate DVD player for would be the ability to play DVD's from other areas.  The US is area 1 but Mexico is area 4 and you can only switch 4 or so times on the mac before it freezes at that area.  If I could find a relatively inexpensive player that could play multiple areas, I would buy it.
Anyone know about one of these?

Jonna, in San Miguel

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 49224
"Did you read the reviews Andy?"
 Take another look at my message: I specifically referred to the reviews on Amazon (yes, I read all of them, not just the first couple)--and the fact that the problems some folks complained about have been eliminated in the current model of the Koss player.
 The two issues most often mentioned in the reviews were overheating, due to an AC adapter that put out too much juice (18V or more), and mechanical failure of the hub clips.
But as I noted in my message, that old adapter has been replaced--at least in the player I bought several months ago--with a new one that is well regulated (I made voltage measurements) and does not cause overheating (I tested it over hours of use). And in any case, no overheating problem will occur when operating the player from 12VDC--which is what the message I was responding to asked about--because in that situation the voltage can't go high enough to cause a problem.
 As for the hub clips, I checked them, and found no problem with the design or operation. I can't guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong, but I can't see any reason why it would-- and in use to date by me and my friend, the Koss player has performed just fine. I would not have recommended it if it hadn't.

"I rushed to Amazon but cannot find anything for 37.99."

Here's the link again:

http://tinyurl.com/6xd3j>
 This will take you directly to the page with the Koss player I mentioned.

"We use the 17" Mac to play DVD's..."

Same here, and what a great movie machine it is!
 "...but what would be worth buying a separate DVD player for would be the ability to play DVD's from other areas."
 Many of the low-end DVD players are "region-free." I *think* this includes the Koss player--though of course it is nowhere mentioned in Amazon's description--but I don't have the player here, and my friend doesn't have any non-Region-1 DVDs to test it with, so I can't guarantee that.

Here's a comment from a MacInTouch reader that may be of interest:
 "I recently purchased a Philips DVP642 which is a cheap unit ($69) that has played every format I can throw at it. Additionally, if you do some research on the 'net you may find some info on remote codes for most new DVD players (including a $39 Cyberhome model) which will allow you to play discs other than Region 1 (US and Canada). I've tried a Region 2 PAL DVD on this model and it played great - I had no problems at all."
 Finally, there are software utilities and patches available that reportedly allow region-free operation of Macs:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download.html>

I haven't tried any of these, so I can't say how well they work.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] 12V DVD/CD/MP3/JPEG/you name it play
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 49225
On Tuesday, January 11, 2005, at 04:16  PM, Andy Baird wrote:

Somebody was asking about 12V DVD players recently. Well, here's one for $37.99 (with free shipping) at Amazon that performed very well in my tests:
http://tinyurl.com/ 6xd3j>.
 Good features, good performance and a good value--that gets my vote!

Andy Baird
Andy -- not just a Moderator but our Consumer Reports go-to guy as well!!  I just love it when you set out to investigate/buy some new toy or high-tech geegaw .... sure makes shopping for the rest of us an easier chore.  Thanks Andy.

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 49271
Jonna,

My understanding is that multiple area DVD players are difficult to impossible to get.
 I recently bought a multi-voltage (110-220) and multi-system (NTSC and PAL) DVD player to take to Europe to play US DVDs there as the the DVD player I have there will not play the Area 1 US DVDs.  Despite the multi-cultural nature of the player, the manual indicates that all players sold

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 49363
Thanks Barry,

If we decide to get a house here that is probably what we'll do. I went and looked at the hacks on a mac site that Andy mentioned.  I probably won't try that, Mimi would kill me if I "fixed" it so she couldn't watch anything and they warn that if it doesn't work, you have to buy a new dvd drive.  Getting an area 4 DVD player would be a lot cheaper and easier to install than a new super drive for the mac.
 The whole business of areas and lockouts really irritates me, I bought the thing I should be able to play it wherever I want. Grrrrr.

Jonna,