Skip to main content
Topic: Genie disposal system for . . . whatever (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Genie disposal system for . . . whatever
Yahoo Message Number: 48930
Linda inquires:

"I'm curious...what is the 'Genie system?'"

It is an enclosed system for sanitarily disposing of disposable diapers, purported to contain the objectionable odors and bacteria of same.  Seems to me that used TP falls into this category, albeit a bit further down the size scale.

Here is the Target ad for the Genie.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=1041912_bxgy_cc_img_b/602-4126822-1930207?asin=B0001NE8OA>

There are THIRTY (30) reviews at:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dp_seemore/602-4126822-1930207?asin=B0001NE8OA&alt%5fview=custReviews&frombrowse=1&coliid=#B0001NE8OA25001104861881>

I admit to having read only the first ten, but they range from "It's wonderful" to "It stinks" - I'm punaphrasing here, but you get the idea, yes?

Please note that there is also a Baby Wipes Warmer available! Now *that's* luxury!  So be sure to mention to Ed about why you want that extra 400-watt inverter hard-wired into the bathroom!  ;->
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_ri_1/602-4126822-1930207?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00006IZQY>

Like Linda, we have always just used the toilet as it is intended, with Scott TP in the 1,000-sheet roll.  This has been satisfactory, but were I to succumb to the idea of needing to deal with the paper in another manner, this is what I would do.  Our rig supports one man and one woman, but were there more TP users aboard, I might also consider alternate disposal methods for this "consumable product".

Virtual hugs,

Judie SKP #17907

Re: Diaper Genie disposal system
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48934
First, the "Diaper Genie" is a foot square and almost two feet high. Do you have room for an object that size that in your RV's bathroom? I sure don't. Second, you're going to be locked into buying Playtex's refills for it--and carrying around plenty of spares, because the local stores wherever you happen to be may not stock this oddball item. (This, of course, is where Playtex make their money--selling you overpriced refills.)
 I put toilet paper in the toilet. Been doing it for four years and never had a problem. No smells, either!

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48966
I agree with Andy that there is no room for a 1' x 2' sq "genie" in our RB bathroom.  Nor do I see the need.  But, unlike Andy, we have never put toilet paper in our tanks.  I won't say our gauge is dead on accurate, but it does work most of the time.  I don't think that putting the TP in the trash rather than the toilet is odd or particularly dangerous, but then I live in Mexico half the year where it is normal.  I dump the trash daily, at least, and we don't have any smells at all.  I use purchased bags in the bathroom trash because the recycled grocery store bags I use in the kitchen often have small holes in them.  I buy bags, with vanilla scent no less, by the hundreds at WalMart for very little $$ and use at least one a day.
Whether in the US or Mexico, it's  been easy to find a place to dump these small trash bags.  If you are traveling, every gas station has a trash that will take a small bag.

This is a subject that some people find really gross, I'm not sure why.  It incites a lot of feelings though and really, it is just a choice you can make and not something that others have to agree with.
It works for us and it works for our tanks, we are fulltimers and have lived most of the last 3 years in our LD.  Whatever is easy and keeps maintenance and problems to a minimum is on my list of "good things".  YMMV.

Jonna, in San Miguel

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48987
"won't say our gauge is dead on accurate, but it does work most of the time. I don't think that putting the TP in the trash rather than the toilet is odd or particularly dangerous..."
 Sorry, Jonna, I didn't mean to imply that. I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting toilet paper in the trash. I just meant to say that in my experience with my rig, it has been unnecessary. Gertie's gauges have always been accurate, and I've never had any clogs. Of course "your mileage may vary."
 Of course I use a HydroFlush fitting to backflush the tanks after dumping (where possible), and a tank wand once in awhile to make sure the job is complete. But as long as you don't have a smell problem with your wastebasket, putting TP there is purely a matter of personal choice.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"