Skip to main content
Topic: Prospective owner's questions (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Prospective owner's questions
Yahoo Message Number: 48850
We are considering the 23.5 TK
 I was inspired to check out LD by the RV Consumer Group.  I see that they only rate the 26.5 models. Although they are rated VERY well, do you know why they do not evaluate the 23.5 models?  Is there any problem with the 23.5's?

I see that LD does not offer tank heaters only insulation,  Is this adequate for sub freezing or even zero temps?  I intend to do some cold weather time and am interested in the experience of others in sustained subfreezing temps and even snow.

The optional entertainment center includes only the TV. They don't offer a VCR/DVD player?  Does this have to be purchased in the after market?  Any suggestions?
 Are those of you that have the solar panels satisfied with the output and performance vs the cost?
 We would like to have no carpet and all tile.  Do they do this?  Have any of you chosen that?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is a wonderful website!

Bob

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Prospective owner's questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48857
You need the tank heaters. Search the files for more info.

rshmikler rgshmikler@...> wrote: We are considering the 23.5 TK
 I was inspired to check out LD by the RV Consumer Group.  I see that they only rate the 26.5 models. Although they are rated VERY well, do you know why they do not evaluate the 23.5 models?  Is there any problem with the 23.5's?

I see that LD does not offer tank heaters only insulation,  Is this adequate for sub freezing or even zero temps?  I intend to do some cold weather time and am interested in the experience of others in sustained subfreezing temps and even snow.

The optional entertainment center includes only the TV. They don't offer a VCR/DVD player?  Does this have to be purchased in the after market?  Any suggestions?
 Are those of you that have the solar panels satisfied with the output and performance vs the cost?
 We would like to have no carpet and all tile.  Do they do this?  Have any of you chosen that?

Bob

Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Prospective owner's questions
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48865
Bob,
 We have the RV Consumer Group CD and the 23 models are listed. Maybe sort on the star ratings? Even so, rest easy. The Lazy Daze is the best value and the best built on the market. You could pay much more and not get anything better.

We opted for the insulated tanks in our 2005 26.5 RB for the same reason you mentioned. We like fall, winter, and spring travel mainly because the road traffic is lighter, kids that drive are in school and the bugs are hibernating. We think if one leaves the rig unoccupied for a couple of days without leaving the heater on, things might freeze. On the other hand if you are comfortable, then it's unlikey things will freeze. There are some old salts in this group who would give some real world experiences. I would create a new subject line and ask again if you get little feedback on this thread.

Solar panels are a good thing. We had one installed. Others opt for two. Andy Baird, our moderator, installed a virtual solar powerstation on his 'Gertie'. I expect he could sell some of his power to the local power company . Can't go wrong here.

Bryan & Midge 2005 26.5 RB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48869

Bob
Bob:

We have a 1998 Mid Bath (just passed 126,000 miles) and regularly travel and winter camp in sub-freezing temperatures and once in sub-zero.  We did not opt for the insulated tanks because they just slow tank freezing, and the real problem is not in the tanks but in the dump valves and their associated pipes.

In cold temperatures, we just remain very aware of temperatures and tank contents.  We have learned that even a short time travelling in above freezing temperatures thaws things out (the slip stream acting sort of like a convection oven), so we then dump as soon as possible.
We NEVER connect park water in the winter - you will just freeze your hose and either have to leave it or find a way to carry it in its frozen configuration; instead we use the fresh water tank and refill it when required.  It is located inside the coach walls and is quite large (50 gallons useable).
 When we were learning about cold weather, we tried using RV antifreeze and large amounts of salt in the tanks and this seemed to help down to maybe 20 degrees, but tanks still froze at colder temperatures and antifreeze and salt had to be used right after dumping or their benefits would not get out to the valves where it is needed most.
Were I to start over, I think I would install tank and pipe heaters on a new coach.  See doubleu doubleu doubleu dot ultraheat dot com.

As for no carpeting, I don't think its possible, even if Lazy Daze wanted to do it.  When we ordered our coach, we asked if the tile (which then stopped at the galley edge) could be extended to the door, and were told no because near the door is a coach body anchor bolt, and tiling over it would cause a bad wear spot in the tile.  Two years later, however, they did take our suggestion and move the tie down bolt and extend the tile.  But these anchors have to be somewhere, and need carpeting over them.

if you have any specific questions, feel free to E-mail me.

Gus Weber

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48877
We are considering the 23.5 TK
 I was inspired to check out LD by the RV Consumer Group.  I see that they only rate the 26.5 models. Although they are rated VERY well, do you know why they do not evaluate the 23.5 models?

Yes, they DO rate the 23.5' models -- at least my 2004 rating CD has the 23.5' models rated...with 5 stars!

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48879

The entertainment center is not an option on the 23.5' TK.  Because of the layout, if you had an entertainment center on this model in place of the overhead bed, it would be very difficult to see the TV, so it doesn't make any sense having it.  This model also doesn't come with a TV like the 26.5' MB does...you have to provide your own TV.

We ordered one solar panel and, so far, it's done a fine job for us -- we run our TV, satellite receiver, laptop computer, and Direcway modem just from the power supplied by the solar panel.

You can ask, but the answer more than likely will be "no."

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48907
Bob, if you go to http://www.lazydazers.org/Yahoo/msg_display.php> you'll find a searchable archive off all recent messages in this group--one that works a heckuva lot better than Yahoo's lame "search" function! ;-) Most of your questions have already been answered in previous discussions, and the archive is the quickest way to get at those answers. Of course if you come up short in the archives, you can always post detailed queries here.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Prospective owner's questions
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48878
Gus,
 Thanks so much for the excelent info and the offer to use you as an additional resource.

Best regards,

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]