Skip to main content
Topic: MAC issue! (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
MAC issue!
Yahoo Message Number: 48837
All MAC users:

When we started our trip back from picking up our new 26 RB, we depended on using Wi-Fi sites to keep up-to-date and pay some bills.
I've used PC laptops since the dawn of cyber-time but decided to go the MAC route because of the excellent connectivity and graphics capability.

Now I'm in a jam. If I come across a 'free' Wi-Fi site, no problem.
But when I try the pay sites, like FlyingJ or some KOA campgrounds..essentially using some protocol to keep the rabble out, my Powerbook G4 never brings me to the sign-on web page, even though Internet Connect shows a fairly good signal. I've already spent some money getting the userid and password (not a great sum thankfully) and little to no help getting things sorted out from the provider.
 I never could understand why that happens and hope some MAC maven can help bail me out.

Any takers?

Bryan.

Re: MAC issue!
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48894
Thanks Barry. I've already asked Andy and he suggested the group.
Since then, I updated the firmware on my airport. I'll go over to the WiFi group and see if I can pick up some clues...

Thanks again..

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48895
Hi Bryan,
 I was hoping that someone with more recent knowledge would answer you but since you haven't gotten any other info, I'll tell you what I know.

A couple of years ago, I signed up for T-Mobile wireless which is available at Starbucks, Borders Books, etc.  I got on fine with my pc but the mac had the same problem you describe, the sign on page would not come up.  I spent a lot of time on the phone with T-Mobile techs and didn't learn much.  At the time, I was using an ibook that could dual boot to OS 9 and an early version of OSX.  What I discovered is that I could log on if I booted from OS9 but not OSX.  When I called the techs back at T-Mobile they said that they had since found that the problem was in OS X implementation of Java.  They of course blamed it on Apple.  Personally, I would put the blame more on the non-standard Java from Redmond and the people who create sites that use it and thus lock out those with standard, Sun approved Java. That is, if it is really Java that is the problem.  But, that's another thread.
 Unfortunately, I doubt that you have the option of booting into OS9 as I now have a G4 Powerbook and it does not include a dual boot. It didn't work back then when I connected 'through' OS 9 running in emulation. My guess was that it was a problem somewhere in either the Java or the TCP implementation.  I really can't remember a lot about what I learned back then - CRS is well established in my brain - but I hope this gives you a place to start.
 I would suggest doing a search on the name of your service or T-Mobile 802.11 on the Apple knowledge base and in the Mac forums.  As I recall, that is where I got the most info on the problem.  T-Mobile was pretty indifferent to the problem.

Sorry I can't help more,

Jonna, in San Miguel and loving the satellite internet.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48906
Thanks Jonna!
 I downloaded a firmware update from the Apple site but haven't had a chance to run down to the local Starbucks to check it out.

I fully agree with your comments about 'the evil empire's' twisted version of Java. I struggled with Redmonds in-your-face attitudes for too many years now. That's why I switched to the MAC. Less headaches and frustration...even though this problem has me baffled.
 I also happened on a fix based on the theory that airport really wants to communicate with another airport. The workaround seems kludgey, but I'll try it if the firmwear doesn't pan out.
 Before I retired early from IT Managers job juggling laptops assigned to representaives around the world, I knew having a MS based laptop for personal use would be a pain in the you-know-what. So my intent was to make my life as easy as possible and get a MAC. My fellow geeks thought I lost my mind. So this little bugaboo is clearly not in the script...

Bryan & Midge 2005 26.5 RB