Skip to main content
Topic: Would Like to Look at 26.5' & 30' Island Bed Units (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic
Would Like to Look at 26.5' & 30' Island Bed Units
Yahoo Message Number: 48620
After doing extensive homework, my wife and I have concluded that if there is going to be a LD in our future, it is going to have an "island bed" or rear bedroom (like our current 28' Jayco.)  Consequently, I am trying to locate owners of the following Island Beds, hopefully within about 300 miles of Detroit, Michigan, who would be kind enough to allow my wife and me to come by and take a look at your moptorhome:

1) 26.5' with standard barrel chair & cabinet dinette
2) 26.5' with Pull-out dinette
3) 30' with standard barrel chair & cabinet dinette
4) 30' with Pull-out dinette

Here is our problem:  Although it looks good "on paper," will there really be enough room in the 26.5' (which I would really prefer due to the diesel option and very respectable CCC,) or will we have to go with the 30' (with its meager CCC and no diesel availability?)  Our 28' Jayco is nice, but it is pretty crowded for snowbirding.  It looks like LD has some options and features that free up a considerable amount of floor space over what we have in the Jayco, but we need to see these units "in the flesh" before making the big decision - and being basically cheap, I would very much prefer not having to pay for one pair of round trip tickets to California, just to look, and then a second pair, after disposing of the Jayco, arranging financing, etc., to actually make the purchase.  :-)

===== Regards,

Glenn Harnden

Re: Would Like to Look at 26.5' & 30' Island Bed Units
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48621
"...who would be kind enough to allow my wife and me to come by and take a look..."
Welcome to the Group, Glen.

No, you cannot look at my 2½ month old 30'IB with pull-out dinette because I'm beyond your range limit here in northern California.
 But even if you don't want to split for the airfare you could take a look at our sister Yahoo group;

The Photo section shows enough information to keep you drooling until the cows come home or until next summer, whichever happens first. The LD pictured is a 2003 but there isn't 10¢ worth of difference but what I couldn't give you 9¢ change.

Hey, and do yourself a favor, forget the diesel.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48626
4) 30' with Pull-out dinette
"...or will we have to go with the 30' (with its meager CCC..."

Glenn Harnden
Glenn, I am also too far for you to visit, however, if you want to see interior photos of our 2002 30' with pull-out dinette (in both positions), I could email you some - and other interior shots as well.

Regarding the "meager CCC":  Not to worry.   Unless you are full- timing and carry lots of stuff, it's unlikely you'll overload the 30'.  We have never been able to fill up all the storage areas on our trips, and the one time I weighed Daisy fully laden with full tanks, she still had 1,000 lbs left.  If you want a fixed bed, the 30' is very comfortable and provides a spacious living area.

Chris Horst
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48631
Steve wrote: ...take a look at our sister Yahoo group; http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/THE_LAZY_DAZE_30_FT_ISLAND_BED/> The Photo section shows enough information to keep you drooling until the cows come home...

Steve -- thanks for the link to the 30' Island Bed site.  I went there and can't figure out how to access the folders with the pictures (blush!)  I even jioned the group thinking it might get me access -- no such luck.  :-(

HELP!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48632
"...can't figure out how to access the folders with the pictures... HELP!"
Oops! Sorry, once you've done it it doesn't require any thought.
That's me, No thoughts.

If you had not joined you probably would not have been able to access anything but 'Messages', but, now that you have, look at the left hand sidebar. There, along with 'Messages' you should also find 'Chat', 'Files' and, most importantly, 'Photos'. Click on that and you should find a total of 16 photos of the 30'IB.

If that doesn't work maybe we'll have to ask Andy for help.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48633
I went

there and can't figure out how to access the folders with the pictures (blush!)  I even jioned the group thinking it might get me access -- no such luck.  :-(

HELP
Glenn,

I went to the site and checked for your membership and it does show you as a member. So all you have to do is click on the word Photos on the left hand side of the home page and then take a look at all the photos in each folder, They're divided up by different areas of the coach. There's plenty to see so allow a little time for it all.

JC
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/THE_LAZY_DAZE_30_FT_ISLAND_BED/

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48634
Steve wrote: ...take a look at our sister Yahoo group;
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/THE_LAZY_DAZE_30_FT_ISLAND_BED/>

The Photo section shows enough information to keep you drooling until the cows come home...

Steve -- thanks for the link to the 30' Island Bed site.  I went there and can't figure out how to access the folders with the pictures (blush!)  I even jioned the group thinking it might get me access -- no such luck.  :-(

HELP!
I'm not Steve, but we do have a 30'LD (in TX).  I just checked the

site, and had no problem opening the photo files, by clicking on Photos, in the grey section, to the left of the messages section, then double clicking on one of the photo folders.  Is this the way you tried to open them?  If you're looking for a specific folder, it's easier to choose the "List" option on the upper right side of the page.  Good luck!

Sharon N.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48640
...if you want to see interior photos of our 2002 30' with pull-out
dinette (in both positions), I could email you some - and other interior shots as well.
 Those pictures would be much appreciated!  (The LD video doesn't do a real good job showing off that particular option.)

...the one time I weighed Daisy fully laden with full tanks, she still had 1,000 lbs left.
This is interesting.  LD says the 30" IB has 757 lbs of CCC with 616 lbs of people aboard.  So if you weighed your coach w/o people then it sounds like you must have had less than 400 lb of personal stuff aboard.  Does that sound about right?  (Come to think of it, 400 lbs does represent quite a few socks and T-shirts, doesn't it?)

I'm looking forward to those pictures.

By the way, what sort of mileage do you get with your V-10/4R100?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48649
LD says the 30" IB has 757 lbs of CCC with 616 lbs of people aboard.

Glenn,

That means with up to 616 lbs. of passengers you still have 757

lbs. for cargo. If for example you only have 400 lbs. worth of

passengers, then the difference between  616 - 400 or 216 lbs. can

be added to the 757 or (757 + 216 = 973 lbs.). Less passenger

weight, more Cargo Carrying Capacity or CCC. Also carrying less on

board water in your fresh water tank increases further your CCC at

an increase of approximately 8 lbs, per gallon.

Hope this helps !

JC

Re: Would Like to Look at 26.5' & 30' Island Bed Units-to Glenn
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 48653
Those pictures would be much appreciated!  (The LD video doesn't
do a real good job showing off that particular option.)

I will send photos via another email address.   I assume your email address is gharnden at yahoo dot com.

By the way, what sort of mileage do you get with your V-10/4R100?
Best was 10.6 but normal is more between 9 & 9.5 (under ideal driving conditions).  When I tow our Honda Accord, it drops one mile or more per gallon.

Chris

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 48656
After doing extensive homework, my wife and I have concluded that if there is going to be a LD in our future, it is going to have an "island bed" or rear bedroom (like our current 28' Jayco.)  Consequently, I am trying to locate owners of the following Island Beds,

Here is our problem:  Although it looks good "on paper," will there really be enough room in the 26.5' (which I would really prefer due to the diesel option and very respectable CCC,) or will we have to go with the 30' (with its meager CCC and no diesel availability?)  Our 28' Jayco is nice, but it is pretty crowded for snowbirding.
Hi Glenn, as a  fellow midwesterner, "I can feel your pain" about seeing an LD in the flesh without making the trip to the mothership.
I have a couple of questions for you, as well as a few suggestions and observations. And I don't mean any offense by asking the questions.

First the questions: 1)Why do you feel you need an island bed floorplan? 2) Did your "extensive homework" include reading some of the archives about floorplan discussions? If you have not done so, there are lists of posts in the FAQ files with the message numbers with good discussions about the various floorplans.
 Some suggestions: 1) There are some midwest LD owners who have formed a Great Lakes Caravan Club; if you contact them, (I am not active in the group at the present time) perhaps they can put you in contact with someone in the area who has the floorplans that interest you. If you go to home page of this group and link to the "Searchable Database" and do a search under "Great Lakes Caravan Club" or perhaps "midwest coaches" you may find a contact for the Great Lakes club. I am sure there are 30' units in the area, but 26.5 Island bed units are very rare, combine that with a scarcity of LD's in this part of the country...... good luck with finding one. 2) You mentioned the desire to have a "rear bedroom"; do you realize the Mid- bath floorplan sets up quite easily as a rear bed room? (guess which floorplan we have? :
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 48709
...look at the

left hand sidebar. There, along with 'Messages' you should also find 'Chat', 'Files' and, most importantly, 'Photos'. Click on that and you should find a total of 16 photos of the 30'IB.
Works like a charm, Steve.  Thanks!  Wow -- there is a lot of good info in those photos that isn't available in the official LD website, video, or brochure.  EXTREMELY helpful -- thanks again!

Glenn Harnden

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 48711
...all you have to do is click on the word

Photos on the left hand side of the home page ...
Thanks JC -- I'm in business now!

Glenn Harnden

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 48712
I just checked the

site, and had no problem opening the photo files, by clicking on Photos, in the grey section, to the left of the messages section, then double clicking on one of the photo folders.  Is this the way you tried to open them?
I'm claiming my 5th Ammendment rights against self incrimination, in refusing to answer that question, Sharon.  :-)

Thanks for the help -- all is well -- now.

Glenn Harnden

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 48714
LD says the 30" IB has 757 lbs of CCC with 616 lbs of people aboard.

Glenn,

That means with up to 616 lbs. of passengers you still have
757 lbs. for cargo.

I agree, JC.  I think we are both on the same page.  I said (loose paraphrase)  757 lb + 616 lb = 1373 lb, so if he weighed his rig w/o people and had over 1000 lb CCC that meant that he had about 1373 lb - 1000 lb = 373 lb, which I rounded off to "less than 400 lb."

Glenn Harnden

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 48717
Best was 10.6 but normal is more between 9 & 9.5 (under ideal driving conditions).  When I tow our Honda Accord, it drops one
mile or more per gallon.

That's pretty impressive mileage, Chris.  What speed do you drive? My Jayco gives about 8.5 @ about 55, about 7.5 @ about 65, and about
6.8 @ about 70 on relatively level roads.  :-(  (Needless to say,
 I've learned to slow down.)  As I recall, the Jayco punches a hole in the air that is about a foot higher and 4"-6" wider than the LD, which doesn't help.

Glenn Harnden

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 48763
That's pretty impressive mileage, Chris.  What speed do you
drive?

My Jayco gives about 8.5 @ about 55, about 7.5 @ about 65, and about 6.8 @ about 70 on relatively level roads.  :-(  (Needless to say, I've learned to slow down.)  As I recall, the Jayco punches a hole in the air that is about a foot higher and 4"-6" wider than the LD, which doesn't help.

Glenn Harnden
Used to drive about 63,64.  Now drive at 58-60 and get better mileage.  Again, conditions were ideal.

Chris

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 48909
First the questions: 1)Why do you feel you need an island bed floorplan?
The island bed is strictly a luxury, Steve.  Over the last 30 years we have camped in RVs that were very efficient.  They had everything we needed -- only not all at the same time.  ("Let's go to bed, mamma."  "Can't sweetie, the kids are still playing scrabble on the dinette table and that's where we sleep."  "Nuts!"  "Quit being such a grump, sweetie."  "I'll be a grump if I feel like it -- it's almost 2 a.m. and I wanna go to bed!"...)  Then we got the Jayco with that wasteful rear bedroom (I'm not being sarcastic -- I agree, they allocate a bunch of scarce resources (almost 1/3 of the entire coach floor area) to a single purpose that is essentially useless for 2/3 of every day, but is always ready to use) and mamma loved it, and I'm no longer called "the grump.)  Additionally, mamma and I have studied all of LDs floorplans objectively and in detail, and can't honestly find anything we like nearly as well as the island bed.  (Once you've had sliced bread...)

2) Did your "extensive homework" include reading some of the archives about floorplan discussions?
Yes, I have spent many hours following such discussions over the last couple of years (mamma isn't into such in-depth research) and couldn't find anything to change my mind.  That's most likely because our reason for wanting the island bed isn't isn't based on a whole lot of logic (luxuries seldom are.)

Some suggestions: 1) There are some midwest LD owners who have formed a Great Lakes Caravan Club; if you contact them,...perhaps they can put you in contact with someone in the area who has the floorplans that interest you...
Thanks for the tip -- I'll definitely follow up on it!

2) You mentioned the desire to have a "rear bedroom"; do you realize the Mid-> bath floorplan sets up quite easily as a rear bed room?

Did I hear you say "sets up?"  Mamma will get you for that!  :-)

Observations: 1) A visit to the factory is well worth the small investment! If you order, they will reimburse you with a travel allowance to offset some of the travel cost to out of state customers...you would be cheating yourself if you didn't see several of their other designs.
We plan to make that trip when we order, but are trying to avoid having to make two trips -- one to look and touch, and the other to sign the papers.  You can be sure that when we get there we will look at everything they can show us at least once.

from my observations, all island bed RVs waste considerable living area by dedicating so much area to the bed.
You certainly won't get an arguement out of me on that point.  (By the way, your sales pitch has been irresistable, so if you promise not to say anything to mamma, I will go back and re-review those 26.5' floorplans.  (If she catches me, I'm dead meat on a hook.))

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 48911
Glenn,

You can get some more information on LD gas mileages in the 'LD Estimated Gas Mileage.txt" in the Files section of the Yahoo site.

Barry 2001 RB TX
Thanks, Barry.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 48912
Used to drive about 63,64.  Now drive at 58-60 and get better mileage.  Again, conditions were ideal.
That is still mileage I lust after.  Actually, I could get 10.5 mpg in the Jayco -- if I could find a filling station at the top of the Rockies and then coast all the way to the Pacific Ocean -- well, maybe only 10, but that's close enough for me.  :-)

Glenn

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 48914
"...but are trying to avoid having to make two trips -- one to
look and touch, and the other to sign the papers..."

Glen

Glen

To avoid that second trip, do as I did. Make the first trip, gather all the information your head will hold, take it home to mull over and then make your order by mail.
 It worked for me. You even get the reimbursement if you order within 30 (?) days.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 48925
We plan to make that trip when we order, but are trying to avoid having to make two trips -- one to look and touch, and the other to sign the papers.  You can be sure that when we get there we will look at everything they can show us at least once. from my observations, all island bed RVs waste considerable living area by dedicating so much area to the bed.
You certainly won't get an arguement out of me on that point.  (By the way, your sales pitch has been irresistable, so if you promise not to say anything to mamma, I will go back and re-review those 26.5' floorplans.  (If she catches me, I'm dead meat on a hook.))
There's no need to make a second trip to sign papers, those can be sent back and forth by mail if you wish. So you could go to look and touch, then make up your mind later and order by remote. Heck, if you know exactly what you want, you can order an LD without visiting the mothership at all.

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

26.5' vs 30' Units
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 48928
Glenn,

We bought a used 26.5MB and owned it for about 3 years and really enjoyed it, but we recently traded up to a 30TB and I can tell you that the difference is amazing!  We LOVE the 30TB floorplan so much more than the MB and it fits our lifestyle much better.
 There are only two of us (and two small dogs), but we have different sleep schedules and making up the rear bed in the MB got to be an irritation -- not so much the process of making the bed, but rather the timing.  Just as you said -- when one is tired and wants to go to bed and the other is engrossed in a project it can turn a nice person into a grump.  Also, in the MB, when one gets up earlier than the other, he/she has only the dinette to sit at while waiting for the bedroom to convert back to the lounge and the lounge in the MB is really the best place to view the outside world.

We don't consider the rear bedroom a waste of space at all and we went with the 30TB rather than the 30IB because it had the same wrap-around view windows as the MB (a very important factor for us.) We have the twin beds set up with our heads towards the cockpit rather than against the rear window so that we can use them as loungers during the day and enjoy a spectacular view outside.
We also have a tv in there for the times when his & her viewing options are different.  It also gives us two very comfortable rooms so that we can each have our own space when needed.
The only thing we miss about the MB is the king-size bed, but we are getting used to the change.
 In addition, we like the 30TB living room so much better than the MB since it has large windows on either side making viewing out almost as good as in the bedroom.  The sofa is very comfortable as are the barrel chairs.  I thought we'd miss the dinette, but we don't at all.

Also, the 30TB has more (and better arranged) aisle space so that we are not bumping into each other as much as in the MB.
 As you noted, the only downside to the 30' model is the lesser amount of CCC, but we embraced the challenge of paring down our stuff to fit and so far we've done ok.  If you plan to tow a vehicle, remember that you can put some of the heavier stuff in it as well.  We have a Honda CR-V that has about 400# of capacity before we hit the 4,000# hitch limit and we use it to store our tools, compressor, barbecue and other RV supplies that are not used daily.

I know that each family's needs and preferences are different, but wanted to give you a perspective from someone who thinks the separate bedroom is worth it.

Chris W.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 48940
  First the questions: 1)Why do you feel you need an island bed floorplan? The island bed is strictly a luxury, Steve. from my observations, all island bed RVs waste considerable living area by dedicating so much area to the bed.
You certainly won't get an arguement out of me on that point.  (By the way, your sales pitch has been irresistable, so if you promise not to say anything to mamma, I will go back and re-review those 26.5' floorplans.  (If she catches me, I'm dead meat on a hook.)
Glenn, glad you didn't take offense to the questions or suggestions.
Regarding the 26.5 floorplans, they offer a lot of flexibility, but if you really want a dedicated bedroom, in my opinion the 30' LD is the way to go.  Chis W, who had a 26.5 MB for 3 years mentioned how much they like the 30'TB they replaced it with. I think if I were to full time, (which we're not gonna do)if I stayed with a Class C, I would opt for the 30' with the twin beds. For us anyway, we would much rather have the single wide asile in the center than have two narrow ailes on each side of the bed. Had we opted for another travel trailer, we would have gone the twin bed route. Much more liveable for us, anyway.

Now, talking about the Mid-bath again, specifically the idea of having a seperate living area, that was one reason we opted for the MB. In Lazy Daze rigs, even the dinette is comfortable. When we're on different sleep cycles, I can be quite comfortable sitting up there and reading or whatever. That wasn't the case with our previous rig.
After touring the Ohio RV Show on Friday, I am convinced more than ever, that a permanent bed in a rig shorter than 30' is too much compromise and not enough comfort.

I sense that you are just trying to see a couple LD's before making the decison to go all the way to California. I had to see one in person before making the journey, glad I made the effort!

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath