Skip to main content
Topic: Pilots who think their flying days are over..... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Pilots who think their flying days are over.....
Yahoo Message Number: 48606
Couldn't help but notice the following quote from one of the members here:
 "...my flying days are over can't pass the physical anymore damnit old age is not for sisseys."
 While you're certainly right about old age, I want to make sure you (and others in similar straits) are aware that new FAA regs have recently been enacted that may make it possible for you to return to flying (with some restrictions)-- WITHOUT passing a physical.
 In a nutshell, if your physical condition is such that you can hold a driver's license, you can now fly Light Sport Aircraft.  LSA's are basically single or two seat aircraft, some old (like Cubs and Champs), some new (too many to get into here) that meet some specific specs (for instance, a Cessna 140 doesn't qualify, because it's gross is about 100 pounds more than the rule allows).
 If you already hold a pilot's license, all you have to do to fly these aircraft is get a biennial flight review from a qualified CFI.  You'll be restricted to VFR, daytime, and no more than one passenger.  I don't know about you, but I no longer have much desire to slog my Bonanza through the clouds (especially at night), so it's gone-- but I'm looking at the new rules as a way to still get off the ground now and then.
 There's a lot to learn in order to use the new rules effectively-- for instance, if you've failed an FAA physical, you have to jump through some other hoops (which is why you should NOT take another physical if there's any chance you might fail it).  However, if you have what would be a disqualifying condition for passing the FAA medical, but have NOT actually failed the physical, you can go ahead and fly (I know that makes no sense, but that's what the rules say.....)..
 Bottom line, if you're a lapsed pilot who'd like to get back up in the air now and again, you owe it to yourself to take a look at the new Sport Pilot and Light Sport Aircraft rules.  Here's a good place to start:

http://www.sportpilot.org/

Denny

Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn more.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]