Skip to main content
Topic: The End of Tire Pressure Issues: The Tweel (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] The End of Tire Pressure Issues: The
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48607
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/03/automobiles/03cars.html?oref=login&th

David, the above website brought me to a New York Times page where I was asked to register before I could enter the site to read whatever article it was you wanted us to read.
Here is a caption from the article.  I just assumed that everyone would have registered with the NYT by now. There's no cost, and it is, after all, the country's best newspaper. Anyway, this "teaser" is as much as  feel that I can legally copy and paste from the complete article.
 "The Tweel, an experimental tire and wheel combination developed by Michelin, is designed to replace today's air-filled tires. Flexible polyurethane spokes deflect over obstacles."

David

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48610
I just assumed that everyone would have registered with the NYT by now.

Nope, not us.  I don't like to read long articles on my computer screen, anyway...I much prefer to have the real thing in my hands.  But, then we still use paper maps/atlases instead of GPS, too!

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

GPS
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48613
But, then we still use paper maps/atlases instead of GPS, too!
I used to feel that way about GPS too. Not any more! Mind you, I still love to look at maps and do it all the time. Maps of everything everywhere. There's just something wonderful about maps!

But we just returned from a two week trip to Portland and the Oregon Coast. We loved the trip and Oregon even moreso.
Thank you, thank you Linley & Celia for expert weather & route guidance and gracious hospitality on Christmas Day!!!.

But I have to comment on my first GPS experience. I have had the Garmin 2610 for about six months or more but never had time to give it a run. On this trip, however, I decided it was time to set it up on our first night out (we were in Bakersfield). And "she" (I call the voice "Gypsy") was helpful beyond belief.
Especially in Portland on the foggy morning we decided to visit the gorgeous Japanese Garden in Washington Park.
There is simply NO WAY we could ever have found it in the fog without her helpful voice. From our RV park in Wilsonville, I simply punched in the Japanese Garden as the destination, and she guided us through every invisible exit, intersection and street turn with complete ease. Never once had to try to make out a street sign in the fog.  Same thing on Christmas Eve when we made our way to Trinity Cathedral in the dark.
Same thing the day we checked out Lake Oswego and a variety of neighborhoods. Realistically, trying to do all those with a map (and a searchlight!) would have been more than frustrating; it would have been next to impossible.

I am now a believer and will never again travel without "her"!

David

Re: GPS
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48614
But I have to comment on my first GPS experience. I have had the Garmin 2610 for about six months or more but never had time to give it a run.

David
David, thanks for the report. I KNOW that this has been covered before but does someone have a synopsis of the differences between the 2610 and the 2620?!

Thanks,

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK looking for something beyond the Earthmate
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48616
"I KNOW that this has been covered before but does someone have a synopsis of the differences between the 2610 and the 2620?"
 You can pretty easily find out by searching the archives, but in a nutshell: they both work exactly the same. The 2610 costs less, and comes with a 128MB CompactFlash card and mapping software that can be downloaded from your computer to the unit--but 128 MB will only hold a couple of states' worth of maps at a time. A 2GB CompactFlash card that can hold the entire US/Canada/Mexico map costs about $150 and plugs right in. Most of us with 2610s went that route.
 The 2620 comes with a built-in micro hard drive that is preloaded with the entire US/ Canada/Mexico map database, so it's ready to go right out of the box--no downloading required. It costs more, of course.
 But again, once you have the map data in the GPS, both the 2610 and 2620 look and work EXACTLY the same. See the archives for details, or go to Garmin's website and download complete owner's manual for either unit--the very best way to find out all about these devices short of buying one.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] GPS
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48619
David Bought a lap top today can this be part of the GPS. I know nothing about it. Are we going to have to drill a hole

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48623
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, Robert Blackard

wrote:

David Bought a lap top today can this be part of the GPS. I know nothing about it. Are we going to have to drill a hole in the LD to mount GPS antenna or what? Thanks for the help Robert
Robert,

There ARE some GPS units that work through your laptop, but, conveniently, the Garmin is totally self-contained and small: about the size of a thick paperback.
And the best thing about that is that you can easily move it back and forth between LD and auto. The only connection is the power plug to the 12V outlet on your dash. Although there is an antenna extension, it's not necessary. When you set the unit on the LD dash, in nearly all circumstances, it can "see" the satelite and receive the signal. Only in a few instances did we get a "lost satelite" announcement, and it only lasted for several seconds before re-connecting.
So... no holes in roof are necessary.

David

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 48624
David, thanks for the report. I KNOW that this has been covered before but does someone have a synopsis of the differences between the 2610 and the 2620?!

Thanks,

Dave Ruby the red 04 RK looking for something beyond the Earthmate
Dave, take a look at this site for comparisons: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmsp2620.htm

Happy New Year to you and Kristine.

Chris Horst
2002 30' IB
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 48627
On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 15:21 -0800, Robert Blackard wrote:

David Bought a lap top today can this be part of the GPS. I know nothing about it. Are we going to have to drill a hole in the LD to mount GPS antenna or what? Thanks for the help Robert
Robert,
 If you want to use your laptop for the display and processing of GPS information you can get something like Garmin GPS 18 USB Deluxe with nRoute Software.  Link:
 http://www.thegpssuperstore.com/detail-product-GA00321.htm

It ought to work with the GPS unit on the dash and the laptop held by the co-pilot or on the passenger seat.  Given that it is an accessory and not a self-contained unit, at $129, it is relatively inexpensive.
Indeed, the cost of the Mapsource City Select CD alone would be not much, if any, less.

But, this is all from what I have read and not personal experience.

Alex '05MB Gonnabee

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 48630

Thanks,

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK looking for something beyond the Earthmate

Dave, take a look at this site for comparisons: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmsp2620.htm

Happy New Year to you and Kristine.

Chris Horst 2002 30' IB Denver
Back at ya Chris - I hope 2005 is a good one for you.

Do you have a GPS system?!

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 48651
There's no cost, and it is, after all, the country's best newspaper.
Heh! Only if you think the National Enquirer is the second best.
 I'm with Linda, I refuse to give the NYT free demographic info.  I've never thought anything in there was worth it.

Jonna, in San Miguel

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 48652
Back at ya Chris - I hope 2005 is a good one for you.

Do you have a GPS system?!

Dave Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave, my son gave me a Garmin GPS III Personal Navigator (about $200) for Christmas, knowing that I would probably trade up.  I will most likely return it and get a 2620 from the GPSNow site (if it continues with the lowest price for the 2620).

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 48660
But, then we still use paper maps/atlases instead of GPS, too!

I used to feel that way about GPS too. Not any more! Mind you, I still love to look at maps and do it all the time. Maps of everything everywhere. There's just something wonderful about maps!

I am now a believer and will never again travel without "her"!

David, I know a lot of people feel the exact same way as you...and I imagine we'd enjoy having a GPS that "talks" to us, too (we do have a GPS, but it's just a small hand-held unit); however, at nearly $1,000, we simply can't justify the cost for what, at least for us, would be a toy.  I'd much rather put that $1,000 into something else, like more solar panels, an upgraded controller, or something along that line.
And, of course, there are people for whom this would be a waste of money.  So, it all comes down to where you want to expend your resources.

Linda & Earl

2004 23.5'  Red TK
From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 48673
Linda & Earl,

I gather that you really don't want a GPS.
 Nevertheless, I should point out that if you already have a laptop you can get a GPS that talks to you for a lot less than $1000.  The Delorme Earthmate and Street Atlas software can be had for $129.
 http://delorme.com/earthmate/configlaptop_info.asp

You can even talk back to it if you wish to control the software that way.

I don't use either feature, but really do appreciate the GPS, particularly having the maps of the whole US, down to the street level available at my fingertips at any time with no searching through cabinets for maps.

Barry 2001 Red RB TX

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 48697
Well, actually, I think that the "best" is a combination of many.
That's one of the joys of having a constant internet connection, you have lots of options for news.  I read 5 or 6 news sites with my morning coffee, several from the US but for different reasons.  Some I read for local west coast news, some for tech news, some for international. I also read a Mexican paper and an English one. I don't read every article but I skim and pick what I'm interested in.  None of them require that I give up personal, demographic info.  I find the NYT to be just one step up from a grocery store checkout mag, my opinion, I'm not much interested

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 48701
Virtually every quality newspaper that I read online requires me to register. That includes the Washington Post and the NY Times, which, based on quality news coverage and not on politics, I regard as the two best newspapers