Skip to main content
Topic: So Close Yet So Far Away (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
So Close Yet So Far Away
Yahoo Message Number: 48577
Saturday, Christmas, Dec. 25 - Denver, CO. Having nothing planned for the week between Christmas and New Years, I suggest a quick trip to California to fulfill our two year dream of a visit to the mothership to pick a LD model. A quick check of the LD website reveals that they are only closed on major holidays so everything is go for a Sunday departure. The wife and "kids" (19 & 21) agree and start packing.

Sunday - Arrive in Las Vegas and spend Sunday night and much of Monday in Vegas.

Monday evening - Arrive in LA and find a great motel only two miles from the Mothership. Tomorrow is the big day, so we go to bed with the rain pouring outside.

Tuesday - Still pouring rain but because the showroom is inside it should be no problem. We head for the mothership. Imagine my excitement as we pull up in front of the mothership to find a small sign tacked to the wall saying "Closed for inventory Dec. 24th to Jan. 3rd" All I can do is get out and add my drool to the rain already on the sidewalk as I look through the windows at a bunch of LD's only five feet away. I also make a few pictures through the fence of LD's in the lot. We return to the motel in the rain.

I had promised the kids a trip to Disneyland and Magic Mountain as an added incentive to get them to agree to the trip. Now, with the rain, we thought most of the rides would be closed but we went anyway. Tuesday afternoon to Disneyland and Wednesday to Magic Mountain. The rain both days kept most of the people away but most of the rides were open. The longest line in the two days was a 30 minute wait for the "X" at Magic Mountain. Best visit to the parks we've ever had.
 Thursday morning we make another quick trip to the mothership on the slim chance that somebody may be there, but no such luck, so we start the two day drive back to Denver. I'm very disappointed that our LD dream is delayed once again but we still enjoyed the trip.
Next time I will call before I go regardless of what the LD website says. The pictures are posted in the Photo section.

Jim Thurman Still Hoping for 2005

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] So Close Yet So Far Away
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48581
On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 23:09 +0000, powellnut wrote:

Monday evening - Arrive in LA and find a great motel only two miles from the Mothership. Tomorrow is the big day, so we go to bed with the rain pouring outside.

Tuesday - Still pouring rain but because the showroom is inside it should be no problem. We head for the mothership. Imagine my excitement as we pull up in front of the mothership to find a small sign tacked to the wall saying "Closed for inventory Dec. 24th to Jan. 3rd" All I can do is get out and add my drool to the rain already on the sidewalk as I look through the windows at a bunch of LD's only five feet away. I also make a few pictures through the fence of LD's in the lot. We return to the motel in the rain.
Sorry about your disappointment Jim!  I'm sure the Mothership folks are disappointed to have missed you as well.  At least some of us knew they would be closed the week between Christmas and New Years.  But, that fact wasn't posted here.

Alex '05MB Gonnabee.