Skip to main content
Topic: Death Valley weather (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Death Valley weather
Yahoo Message Number: 48408
Hi gang,

I noted in the posts that older fossil left for the LD Death Valley Desperadoes New Years on the 26th. We were planing to leave Santa Barbara early the 30th to get there for the walking tacos Thursday dinner. However the weather has been horrific and now we are worried about the LD folks in Death Valley.
Flash flood warnings have been posted for the area, etc. The valley had a bad flash flood about year or so ago and the main road in the park is still closed.
The route to get to the campground was avoiding this area. Has anyone heard from anyone there? Is anyone out there? We are having second thoughts about going now, even if the weather is ok in Death Valley the trip to the park could be unpleasant and precarious. The weather forecast does not look good.

Thanks,  Jamie

Re: Death Valley weather
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48409
wrote: However the weather has been horrific and now we are worried about the LD folks in Death Valley. Flash flood warnings have been posted for the area, etc.

There is a "weather alert" (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/nationalparks/weather/tend ay/DEVA?from=search_vert) for Death Valley, but it's for snow above 5000'; no mention (on this particular alert) of a possibility of flash floods.  *However*, flash floods are very unpredictable -- ask the folks at Anza-Borrego – so you might want to call the park and find out the current conditions!  The phone is: (760) 786-3200.  You might also want to look at the "morning report" at: http://www.nps.gov/deva/Morning.pdf

You can also check road conditions at: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/   and the current and predicted weather at weather.com   or weatherunderground.com

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48416
Thanks Joan, ...for the great links to check the weather. The rain is pounding down as it type this, I'm looking out my home office window and there is a curtain of water is running off the back of the LD... I was watching the weather channel, they were very general about the flood warnings. I should not have use the word "posted", anyway we will hang in there till the last minute to see if it is a go or no go.
Jamie

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Death Valley weather
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48436
Hi Jamie, my info is from someone who could not even get into the park -- at about 2 PMish today...they were calling to see if I had any info -- not realizing I had opted out of attending the DVD this year!!
 The park roads they were attempting to enter (via Barstow) were closed; the snow level was so low that Eastern entries (via Beatty) were iffy; and most important, the Lazy Daze DVD group, and all other occupants, had been asked to leave the Sunset campground -- neither they nor the rangers knew if they were allowed to migrate to a higher elevation or if it was suggested they leave the park.
 Unfortunately, the only numbers I have for any of those party animals are home numbers!!  My information is simply anecdotal -- Joan's advice is best.

Good luck and Happy New Year wherever you end up!

Lorna -- umbrella unfurled!
2003 RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48462
First thanks to Chuck for the noaa site. The feature that lets you click on the map for the weather in that location (4.5 miles from Furnace Creek for example) is very cool. This is much better and far and away more accurate than the local TV news talking head.
 Lorna, thanks for the DVD update, we were going to go for it but the last big down pour we had a young tree about 15ft high was listing at a 30° angle and other yard damage, after fixing that and coming in like a drowned rat the phone rang and one of my clients said I have to see you Thursday...
That did it, we're not going. Hope to see you at the next caravan. (And we can talk about Macs)
 Randy, thanks for the real "inside report". Say hello the gang there and tell Frances #2206 we hope they don't run out of sour cream on our account.

All the best, to everyone for the New Year!

Jamie and Jan  #2848 Santa Barbara