Skip to main content
Topic: tire pressures (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
tire pressures
Yahoo Message Number: 48263
Is there any concensus?  Tire man said 80 all round,  Vince said 60 front, 70 back, book says 70 front 60 back!!!  Help please,  Soncee

Re: tire pressures
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48278
Is there any concensus?  Tire man said 80 all round,  Vince said 60 front, 70 back, book says 70 front 60 back!!!  Help please,  Soncee
Soncee,
 It's impossible to say, without getting your baby weighed. I can tell you, that after weighing mine, I was able to reduce the factory set 80psi all around to 55 in the front and 65 in the rear and it made all the difference in the world.  80 psi is the max psi but not necessarily the best.  Having too much air pressure can cause poorer traction and a ride that is like a vibrating machine (if you're well under the carrying capacity).

Happy Holidays!

Tom Riley
'04 26 RB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48293
I cannot believe any tire shop would recommend 55 and 65 psi, especially at speeds over 55 mph.

Different tire professionals all have told me the closer the tires are to their rated 80 psi, the safer it is.
 They also agreed that dropping the front to 65 and the rear to 75 is acceptable ... IF ... the gross weight is considerably under 14,400.
Mine is around 8400 rear and 4300 front, so I keep my tires at 65 and 75 psi front and rear and usually drive interstates at 70 mph.  It is reasonably comfortable and also reasonably safe.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48309
I cannot believe any tire shop would recommend 55 and 65 psi, especially at speeds over 55 mph.
Merry Christmas to All,
 It was not a tire shop that recommended 55 and 65, it comes from the owner's manual. The 2004 edition states, "We strongly recommend you use the chart below to determine your proper tire pressures."  The chart shows tire pressures based upon the rig's axel weights going as low as 45psi.  What I found hard to believe was that the factory lets new and empty rigs leave the mothership with 80psi all the way around.
It really does make for a jarring ride.

Best to all,

Tom Riley
'04 26 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48310
"I cannot believe any tire shop would recommend 55 and 65 psi, especially at speeds over 55 mph. Different tire professionals all have told me the closer the tires are to their rated 80 psi, the safer it is."
 Seems there are a lot of tire professionals out who are there handing out misinformation, because this issue of tire pressures keeps coming up. Let's all repeat one more time:
 "There is no one-size-fits-all solution. The correct pressure for each tire depends on the weight that tire is carrying."
 I'm not often didactic, but I'm going to be right now: getting your rig weighed *wheel by wheel* and then applying your tire manufacturer's recommended pressures, based on the load each wheel is carrying, is the ONLY correct way to get it right. Look at Bob's message: he knows his rig's weights and acts accordingly. That's how to do it.
 Pumping tires up to the maximum pressure molded on the sidewall is wrong. Using "rule of thumb" numbers is wrong. I don't care whether Lazy Daze does it, or the Tireman or anybody else says to do it--it's wrong.
 You can only set correct pressures if you know how much each corner of your rig weighs.
Once you know your weight for each corner, go to http://tinyurl.com/65urt> (for Michelin tires) and look up the correct pressures on the charts they provide. Other tire makers have similar charts. Use them! That's the only way you're going to get the appropriate pressures. If anybody, "professional" or not, tells you otherwise, just smile and walk away.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48311
I agree the factory need not send out every new rig with 80 psi all around. Most new rigs are fairly lightly loaded and it makes for a very hard ride.

However, I am not comfortable running the tires of our 2004 26.5 as light as possible. We find the ride at 65/75 quite comfortable and we feel it is somewhat safer.  YMMV, of course.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48316
Andy, I agree completely.  I inquired of Bridgestone/Firestone two years ago on inflation pressures and what tolerance is allowed for a given pressure.  Below is my question and their answer (mildly snipped - I had also asked for a tire pressure table for my tires and it as identical to the LD manual. I left that out.)

Q: "Also what is the tolerance range on a given pressure before it becomes over/under inflated for that load?"

A:  "As for your question about what the tolerance range is, basically it's zero.  You can see from the table that 5 psi is about 120#, so if you are underinflated by just 1 psi, you are losing about 25 pounds (times 4 tires per vehicle = 100#).
That can be significant.

Bill VandeWater Consumer Products Manager Sales Engineering Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc."

Steve T

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48322
I don't inflate to max unless my rig weight requires it, but what's "wrong" with inflating to the max pressure?
 Are there other words to describe the result of inflating to the max pressure?

Conservative?  (Assuming the rig weight is less than max allowed.)

Unnecessary?   (Assuming the rig weight is less than max allowed.)
 Will lead to a harsher ride than necessary?   (Assuming the rig weight is less than max allowed.)

Will lead to uneven tread wear?   (Assuming the rig weight is less than max allowed.)
 I'm no expert, but I assume that inflating to max pressure is a "safe' strategy if rig weight is not yet known.

Not trying to be argumentative.  Just trying to understand tires.
Never paid a smuch attention to them until I got an RV.

best,  paul

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48323
"what's 'wrong' with inflating to the max pressure?"
 Primarily, as you pointed out, uneven tread wear (center tread wears out too fast) and harsh ride. It's true that if you're going to err, it's better to err on the high side than on the low side--but it's better not to err at all. :-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 48324
Thanks!  We're on the same page.
 While we're discussing tires, I've often wondered about something in my LD manual.  At 80 psi the 4 rear tires can take 9,880 lbs, or 2,470 lbs per tire.  At 80psi the 2 front tires can take 5,360 lbs, or 2,680 lbs per tire.
 As an engineer I can guess why the allowable on the rears is less than on the front, but does anyone know the real reason?

best,  paul

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] tire pressures
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 48328
. . . Is there any concensus? Tire man said 80 all round, Vince said 60 front, 70 back, book says 70 front 60 back!!! Help please, Soncee. .

Maybe it varies with the coach, but I was told by all of the above folks to keep all of them at 80 pounds, all around until I had it loaded the way I was going to use it, have it weighted, then inflate accordingly. Or at least that's the way I remember it. Brain's fried by too much Christmas activity!

That doesn't help much, does it?  Sarah

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

tire pressures
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 48282

It was my understanding from what the Tireman told us, that the 80 PSI was only necessary for the first 500 miles after the tire stems were installed to allow them time to "seat."
 Regardless, we've since reduced our tire pressure to the specifications in the Owner's Manual: 65 PSI front and 70 PSI rear, which is also what the tag inside the driver's door says (for the 23.5').  We have not yet weighed our rig (we'll have that done at the Spring Escapade), so for now, that's where the tire pressures will remain.

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

tire pressures
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 48317
I'm not often didactic, but I'm going to be right now: getting your rig weighed *wheel by wheel* and then applying your tire manufacturer's recommended pressures, based on the load each wheel is carrying, is the ONLY correct way to get it right.

One additional bit of information: make sure that all the tires ON THE SAME AXLE are the same pressure.  This means that you'll set your tire pressure based on the tire that carries the most weight on that particular axle.

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 48318
"make sure that all the tires ON THE SAME AXLE are the same pressure. This means that you'll set your tire pressure based on the tire that carries the most weight on that particular axle."

Thanks for the clarification! I should have said that.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Was: tire pressures Now: Tire guages
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 48370
OK - I think I have a good tire guage, but how can I be sure? Where do you go to check? A tire store? Who do you trust? Sarah

Re: Was: tire pressures Now: Tire guages
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 48372
OK - I think I have a good tire guage, but how can I be sure? Where do you go to check? A tire store? Who do you trust? Sarah
Sarah,

Are you just trying to start something?

Tom (watching the rain) Riley

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 48374
I had the same problem a couple of months ago when I noted that the three gauges I own disagree to the tune of 5 PSI when used to measure a LD front tire.  I found the following sites:
 http://www.getagauge.com/index.cfm

Has analog and digital gauges and gives accuracy specs.  A gauge with 100PSI max pressure is accurate to +/- 2PSI at all pressures and +/-1.5PSI at 50 PSI
 http://www.msiusa.com/consumers/tire_gauges.asp

Shows the Accutire digital gauges.  All have specs.  Most are speced at +/-1PSI. You have to buy the gauge elsewhere but most sites sell them for about $15 plus shipping.
 I ordered one just after Christmas since Santa did not bring me one.

Linley

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: tire pressures Now: Tire gu
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 48415
Tom wrote: Sarah, Are you just trying to start something?

You gotta be kidding~   Not THIS kid.

Sarah

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 48477
Sarah Blackwood  wrote: http://www.getagauge.com/index.cfm http://www.msiusa.com/consumers/tire_gauges.asp

Linley - which one did you order? THX, Sarah

Sarah, you might want to check out this gauge, too --

http://tinyurl.com/6cw96

Also, I'm bringing a TG160 (shown on the "getagauge" site) and a "Wheelmasters" to the LaDeze GTG for the silent auction, but I expect that you might want to check your tire pressures before that time! ;-)  BTW, if you *don't* have valve extenders or the longer valves, checking pressure is most convenient if your gauge has a "dual head, straight foot inline" chuck; makes connecting to the inner dual's valve *much* easier than with any other type of chuck.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: tire pressures Now: Tire gu
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 48507
Joan wrote: (snip) . . .  BTW, if you *don't* have valve extenders or the longer valves, checking pressure is most convenient if your gauge has a "dual head, straight foot inline" chuck; makes connecting to the inner dual's valve *much* easier than with any other type of chuck . .

I have the longer valves, thank heavens. Thanks for the URL - and what a great idea to bring one along for the Ladees auction! Gives me some ideas. Hmmmmmm.

Sarah ~^_^~

Tire Pressures
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 48337
Andy is definitely correct when he states that we must get our rigs weighed by the 4 corners and then set the air pressure accordingly.
However...that is not so easy to do and I believe Andy has stated that he has not weighed his own Gertie.  In addition...weights can change very quickly so the air pressure set 3 days ago may not be correct for the weight today!  You gonna weigh your rig everyday???  Since there is much unknown factors at stake it is better to err on the side of high pressure then low.  I believe one can assume correctly that our rigs weigh more then we think they do.  The RV safety assn, I am pretty certain, says to add 5-10lbs to the correct pressure after having the rig weighed.
I am still driving my diesel pusher as no buyer has come along yet.  My tires take 120lbs max and I usually set them at 110 inbetween weighings.
Just MHO.  Mike (a wannabe).
Happy New Year!
2007 RK

Tire Pressures
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 48338
"I believe Andy has stated that he has not weighed his own Gertie."
 I had her weighed by RVSEF at an Escapade (Escapees get-together) about 15 months ago, and she was very well balanced and well within overall weight specs. But I haven't had an opportunity to have her re-weighed since then, and I've been gradually adding things--so I know she weighs more now than she did then. Getting an accurate set of wheel-by-wheel measurements will be high on my priority list once I retire.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Tire Pressures
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 69824
For our 87 LD, the LD Manual states that the non-Michelin pressures should be Single 55 PSI, duals 40 PSI, while the rating on the tires indicates 65 PSI. This appears to be quite a difference. Our weight certificate is well in line, well below the minimums for both front & rear axles and gross. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Re: Tire Pressures
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 69825
For our 87 LD, the LD Manual states that the non-Michelin pressures should be Single 55 PSI, duals 40 PSI, while the rating on the tires indicates 65 PSI. This appears to be quite a difference. Our weight certificate is well in line, well below the minimums for both front
&

rear axles and gross. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Hello on my 1987 its 60 front and 60 rear it lists the air pressure on the  inside door jamb on the drivers side .

JODY......
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed