Skip to main content
Topic: Latch on Sewer Hose Compartment Door (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Latch on Sewer Hose Compartment Door
Yahoo Message Number: 48218
I've checked the new search feature, and still can't find mention of anyone having to replace or repair the latch on the sewer hose compartment door.  We now have a hole where the latch should be, and are holding the door closed with duct tape. (Not pretty!) I suspect that one part of the mechanism failed and allowed the rest to fall off, but I really don't know.

I will call the factory tomorrow, for a replacement.  I'm just curious about how often this happens.  Should I also get a spare?

Sharon N.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Latch on Sewer Hose Compartment Door
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48225
The latch on our sewer hose compartment door broke the first time we used it.  A call to the factory got a replacement.  Probably wouldn't hurt to get a spare - they're pretty cheesy construction.  We've been really careful since it first broke and it hasn't broken again.

--Al in Bremerton --2002 26.5 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48237
snip . . . We now have a hole where the latch should be. . .  call the factory tomorrow, for a replacement. I'm just curious about how often this happens. Should I also get a spare? . . .
 Good question - We're going to get a replacement when we take her in for her nose-job in February. The whole door has to be replaced this time. The first time, it was just a little plastic fringus. We're holding closed with some clear  packing tape, also. I'm hoping it won't hurt the paint. So far it's OK.

Sarah

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48255
Hi Sharon,
 My sewer door broke a few months ago and I got a replacement from the factory.  Steve mentioned in an email to make sure that the sewer hose is placed correctly in the tube such that the end of the hose does not get caught in the door latch. Apparently this causes them to break.

When you get a replacement, make sure to get one painted to your coach color.  They are easy to replace with a screwdriver.

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Re: Latch on Sewer Hose Compartment Door
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48262
...having to replace or repair the latch on the sewer hose

compartment door.  We now have a hole where the latch should be,
and are holding the door closed with duct tape.

Sharon N.
Sharon, The sewer hose compartment door latch on our first LD failed after about nine months use. I found the ouside painted portion but could never find the rest.  I held the door closed exactly as you did with duct tape.  It did no damage to the paint. When I arrived a couple months later at the factory for scheduled service they noticed the duct tape right away and said they were glad I had the painted portion.

I suspect that carrying a spare as well as the routine maintenance already mentioned will be appropriate.

Nate Walker 2005 30TB (soon)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48267
Al,

I think that getting a spare is good advice.
 Since the handling and postage is pretty much fixed, I have ordered a extra backup spare each time I have had to order something from LD.
(Two items

Re: Latch on Sewer Hose Compartment Door--Update
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48305
I called the Mothership on the 23rd, spoke to Vicky, who checked with Steve, and the upshot is that they have had problems with some of these latches.  They are sending us a new version that is sturdier.  When I described the back white plastic or nylon piece breaking, and allowing the rest of the latch to loosen and fall out, Vicky said that was exactly the problem with the older (ours is a '02)version.

By the way, as a reminder, the factory will be closed next week.

Sharon N.

Latch on Sewer Hose Compartment Door
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48222
My original sewer hose door latch has worked for three years. NO PROBLEMS.
If you take a few minutes and go around once a season and tighten up the nut on the INSIDE OF EACH DOOR (holds each lock in place) you wont have many such problems.
Steve Chandler

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48227
My original sewer hose door latch has worked for three years. NO
PROBLEMS.

If you take a few minutes and go around once a season and tighten
up the nut on the INSIDE OF EACH DOOR (holds each lock in place) you wont have many such problems.

Steve Chandler
Thanks, Steve, and Al.  I'll be sure to check them, now that I know about the nuts.  I'll also order a spare.

Sharon N.