Skip to main content
Topic: BIG Bath Window (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
BIG Bath Window
Yahoo Message Number: 48147
I have never had a BIG bath window, especially clear across sink and toilet area.  So... ok, I don't know how to word this, but how do you deal with it?  I mean, at our ages, I'm not sure if I'm more concerned with being embarassed, or scaring the heck out of anyone in eyesight.  Do you just keep pulling the pleated shade up and down, or have some kind of a cafe curtain, or what?

Thanks again, Shirl

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] BIG Bath Window
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48149
At 06:38 PM 12/21/2004 +0000, you wrote:

I have never had a BIG bath window, especially clear across sink and toilet area.  So... ok, I don't know how to word this, but how do you deal with it?  I mean, at our ages, I'm not sure if I'm more concerned with being embarassed, or scaring the heck out of anyone in eyesight.  Do you just keep pulling the pleated shade up and down, or have some kind of a cafe curtain, or what?
Shirl, we have one, and during daylight hours it is impossible for anyone to see into the bathroom through that window. You can see out (a darkened view), but nobody can see in. I have even used the "accommodations" while driving down the freeway, and while it feels strange, you are perfectly concealed.
 At night, however, it's possible to see in, eespecially if you have lights on in the rig. So we make a habit of pulling down the roller shade (we have an older model) when it starts to get dark, then opening it again in the morning for the light and view.

Sonsie

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48150
At 10:45 AM 12/21/2004 -0800, I wrote:

I have even used the "accommodations" while driving down the freeway, and while it feels strange, you are perfectly concealed.
Um, I think I need to clarify that remark! :-)
 I wasn't driving; I was a passenger. Just so you didn't think that the older LDs have a steering wheel option for the bathroom...

Sonsie

Re: BIG Bath Window
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48152

Thanks again, Shirl
Shirl,

Like Sonsie says, you can't see in as long as the inside lights are off.  I was a bit concerned because I put a large mirror (the same as the one on the outside of the wardrobe door) on the inside of the door so that the my wife could see the back of her head while getting "made up".  I thought that the large mirror might reflect back enough light so as to act like an inside light being on.  Then, while I was standing outside, I had Nancy stand as close to the window as she could, wave around, do whatever, still could not see a thing, didn't even know where in the window she was.
 A word of caution to anyone that might think of putting a heavy mirror such as these on ................. make sure the glue is reeeeally dry before you put the door back on. I had my mirror slide off twice (luckily it was trapped behind the closed door and only broke a small corner each time. I was able to recut the mirror, making it only slightly smaller).

Tom Riley
'04 26 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48155
We have some LD friends who learned the hard way that folks CAN see into the bathroom - when sunlight is shining directly into it (and this happened while they were driving down the highway).

I won't go into the details here (I'll leave that to everyone's imagination), but suffice it to say that they were informed by a passing trucker that one of them had just been seen!

--- Barbara

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48158
In addition to the other suggestions that have been offered here, you could cover the window with translucent privacy film such as Con-Tact "Frosty" pattern ( tinyurl.com/5hvsg>), letting in lots of light but absolutely preventing visibility.
 You can also get "Wallpaper for Windows," a translucent cling film that looks like etched glass or stained glass, in a variety of patterns. Earlier this year, Evelyn turned up this website:

http://www.lelandswallpaper.com/wfw.htm>
 I don't know whether you'd want to cover your whole window with it--maybe just the bottom part?--but it's certainly interesting to know about.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48160
hmm, well, I don't think I want to permanently cover that window.

So maybe a curtain, with a rod at top and bottom, that covers the lower half of the window. Close the shade if it's just a short stop or overnight, put up the curtain if staying awhile.

Anyone come up with a solution?

Thanks again, Shirl

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48161
It strikes me that this problem is an example of something that LD wannabe's need to consider: before you choose a floorplan that features a BIG bath window, stop and think about how well that window will work for you, and how you're going to deal with it if it doesn't.
 Very few houses have a picture window in the bathroom. There are reasons why most home-buyers don't want that kind of exposure...and as this discussion has shown, many of those reasons apply to RVs as well.
 (Of course if you're shopping for a used rig, your choices may be more constrained.)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48162
We have a T/K and thought nobody could see in during the day. Under certain outside lighting conditions, people can see us clearly. I was visiting a neighbor in a campground, about 50 feet away. I looked back at our LD and  saw George, inside, through the rear side window. I couldn't see him from close up but at a distance it was a clear view! It takes a bright sunny day but once was enough for me. I wouldn't want to scare anyone either!

Karen

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 48170
It strikes me that this problem is an example of something that LD
wannabe's need to consider
 Just a while back, I think, someone had said that no model was going to be 100% perfect for you (and LD was not going to custom build).
But you could probably find one that you could work with.  Thus the various "enhancements".

Thanks again

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 48171
Sounds like the perfect application for a bottom / up blind.
I love the way this man thinks.  Something simple, maybe even buy right off the store shelf.

Thanks again, Shirl

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 48183
I LOVE my big bath window, it gives the whole coach a wrap around view and I think it makes the RB easier to drive as well.  What I don't understand is why it is a problem to pull the blind down when you want privacy?  They pull up and down easily.  I often pull it down when I go in the bathroom and then push it up again while I'm  'seated' so that I can enjoy the view.  It's just the getting up and down that is revealing .  It's also a great place for the navigator to sit while you are backing into a tight spot.  In fact, we refer to that particular accomodation as the 'navigator's seat'.

Jonna, in San Miguel

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 48185
At 07:32 PM 12/21/2004 +0000, you wrote:

I won't go into the details here (I'll leave that to everyone's imagination), but suffice it to say that they were informed by a passing trucker that one of them had just been seen!
I would say it had to have been a man who was seen, as a lady sitting down would be invisible from about the middle of the chest downward due to the high sill and counter. Of course, removing the necessary garments prior to getting seated might provide a bit of a show. :-)
 Seriously, I will remember that and avoid bathroom usage (at least on the highway) when the sun is shining directly in.

Sonsie

BIG Bath Window
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 48184
At 11:48 PM 12/21/2004 +0000, you wrote:

Actully it would probably need to be ordered to get the right length and width.  But any good blind / window treatment company would be able to produce in a matter of weeks.  Like I said, have used it in residential applications.  Can not see why you could not mount in the rear of Rear Bath.
I've been very happy with American Blinds, an internet source. They produce blinds in days, not weeks, and at a great price. Also wallpaper, drapery fabrics, and lots of other home decor that would work in an LD if you were redecorating or remodeling. Here's the link for blinds:
 http://www.decoratetoday.com/products/blinds/default.asp?si=7

Sonsie