Skip to main content
Topic: Expansion & Contraction on corner trim (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Expansion & Contraction on corner trim
Yahoo Message Number: 48131
Hi Folks Have a little problem on my 01 26ft RK. The radius corner trim at the back of the rig is in 2 parts with a seam about eye level, a caulked seam. if it is cold it seperates and when the sun shines on it it expandes and closes up definitely a place for water to get in. Not good on a wood frame. Is this trim aluminum? Also this trim around the corner around the driver and curb side doors at the bottom has cracked out from the screw holding it to the house, only one screw at this point also when the trim turns forward to go around the cab over also cracked out from the screw hole. Anyone else having this problem? Is this just a temp. thing or is the house moveing? I need an expert to look at this. Is there a factory guy that could shed light on this subject? Any comment or suggestion appreciated. Thanks.
Robert Blackard

Re: Expansion & Contraction on corner trim
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48134
Hi Folks
"Have a little problem on my 01 26ft RK. The radius corner trim at the back of the rig is in 2 parts with a seam about eye level, a caulked seam."

Robert, go to the home page on this forum and click on "searchable archive" (Art's archive) and enter "sealant".   You will find several posts on sealing the rear cap.  If you can't find what you want, I have saved some posts regarding this issue.  Contact me offline at chorst_2000 at yahoo dot com.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Expansion & Contraction on corner tr
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48137
Robert The LD factory made a fix in their new models starting in 2004. I saw the fix when I ordered my 2005 in April 2004.
Stan Byerly

blackardrobert blackardrobert@...> wrote:

Hi Folks Have a little problem on my 01 26ft RK. The radius corner trim at the back of the rig is in 2 parts with a seam about eye level, a caulked seam. if it is cold it seperates and when the sun shines on it it expandes and closes up definitely a place for water to get in. Not good on a wood frame. Is this trim aluminum? Also this trim around the corner around the driver and curb side doors at the bottom has cracked out from the screw holding it to the house, only one screw at this point also when the trim turns forward to go around the cab over also cracked out from the screw hole. Anyone else having this problem? Is this just a temp. thing or is the house moveing? I need an expert to look at this. Is there a factory guy that could shed light on this subject? Any comment or suggestion appreciated. Thanks.
Robert Blackard

Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48142
Hi Folks Have a little problem on my 01 26ft RK. The radius corner trim at the back of the rig is in 2 parts with a seam about eye level, a caulked seam. if it is cold it seperates and when the sun shines on it it expandes and closes up definitely a place for water to get in. Not good on a wood frame.
Hi Robert,
 Don McG has written extensively about this problem. If you search for his posts on Art's searchable database, look for a topic called "End Cap Seal". Don examined quite a few LD's researching a fix for this problem.
 My impression after reading his posts was that the verticle piece you are talking about, does exhibit a lot of movement from expansion and contraction due to temp. fluctuations. The lower piece of molding extends quite a bit under the top piece, so the gap is not as serious as it appears, the theory being that water won't run uphill.
Apparently, on the 2004 models, LD has put a piece of molding over the joint, basically hiding the gap. From what I remember, this joint may be the only one that it is all right to use a silicone caulking compound on. I think edge cap is some sort of fiberglass, and I think the front pieces are as well.

When Don McG, posted about this issue, it seemed very few folks commented on it. I viewed it as a serious issue, and I appreciate his efforts. So thanks Don. McG.
 Steve K. (may the only "white" on your LD be the paint, and not snow)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Expansion & Contraction on corne
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48145
Thanks Steve Looks like this is not the serious thing as I first thought. I noticed this when I went to El Paso to pick it up and the salesman comment was "well if water gets

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Expansion & Contraction on corner tr
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48157
On Dec 21, 2004, at 7:45 AM, blackardrobert wrote:

Also this trim around the corner around the driver and curb side doors at the bottom has cracked out from the screw holding it to the house, only one screw at this point also when the trim turns forward to go around the cab over also cracked out from the screw hole. Anyone else having this problem? Is this just a temp. thing or is the house moveing? I need an expert to look at this. Is there a factory guy that could shed light on this subject? Any comment or suggestion appreciated. Thanks.
Robert Blackard
We have the same problem with the corner molding in front on the passenger side cracking at the screw.  I had it back in the factory last March and they removed the screw and made it look pretty.  But a couple of days later the crack was back.  Vince told me to just squirt some sealant in there and paint it, but that looks tacky.  The corner molding is also coming apart from the rest of the structure, and is even bulging at one point.  I have an appointment at the factory in February to see if they can do anything with it.  It's really pretty minor, but unsightly.

--Al in Bremerton --2002 26.5 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48177
Robert Blackard rnblackard@h...
I have the same problem with my 97 and was going to find a solution next summer hopefully. It has been that way for a while from what the previous owner said and there are no signs of water infiltration.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48178
Robert
"The LD factory made a fix in their new models starting in 2004..."

Stan Byerly

Stan Byerly

When is a fix not a fix? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
 I arrived at the Mother Ship on a Sunday afternoon prior to a Monday delivery last October. I was there to take delivery on a 2004 30' IB, now christened Lazy Bones.
 As I drove up to the factory my beauty was sitting in the yard as if awaiting my arrival.
 On Monday morning when I drove up she was nowhere to be seen. When I inquired inside I was told she was "in the paint shop for some touch- up work."

As it turned out the "touch-up" was for separating rear corner trim (both sides). It looked great when I drove it off the lot four hours later but today, less than 3 months later, it looks like s..t. Same old problem in spite of the "fix."

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!