Skip to main content
Topic: Short Cable to Garmin 2610 (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Short Cable to Garmin 2610
Yahoo Message Number: 48081
After reading about the newer Garrmin GPS systems in this group, especially Andy's positive results on the Maryland excursion, I ordered one last month.
It really works well for me, just as several of you have already testified at greater length and in far livelier prose.

Since I haven't been Rving the past few weeks, I've tried it mostly in our car.  But I note that when I place it on the Lazy Daze dash and rely on the internal patch antenna, I only pick up 3 satellites, and thus get only 2D navigation.  This has less accuracy than the 3D navigation provided when the GPS can receive more GPS satellites.
And the solution is "fragile", in that losing a single satellite signal (under trees, etc.) would result in lost of the navigation capability.  So I really need to use a rooftop antenna.

Fortunately, I had Steve install a Mighty Mouse II antenna on the roof when our Lazy Daze was constructed.  But the antenna coax ends under the driver's seat.  I need about 10-12 feet of coax extension to run the lead behind door and windshield molding to the bottom of the dash.  Then I can connect it to the Garmin 2610.

Neither Garmin nor GPS Outfitters (the Mighty Mouse US dealer) publishes very clear specifications, but I believe the Garmin 2610 has an MCX connector (female).  The Mighty Mouse II antenna lead terminates in what I believe is an FME connector, which has accessory converters to MCX (male), BNC (female) and SMB (not sure which gender) connectors.

I have a 12 ft coax with BNC (female) connectors at both ends, so I can actually get the cable up the dash to the GPS, but I can't find a converter from BNC (female or male) to MCX (male).

Have any of you found such a convertor?  The local Radio Shack appears not to stock any, and couldn't find one in their inventory system.

Or have you in some other way solved the problem of finding a cable to extend the reach of the Mighty Mouse II antenna lead all the way to the Garmin 2610, and with the right (MCX Male) connector at the far end?

Regards, Ken 2002 Teal 26.5 MB

Re: Short Cable to Garmin 2610
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48084
Have any of you found such a convertor?  The local Radio Shack appears not to stock any, and couldn't find one in their inventory system.
Regards, Ken

2002 Teal 26.5 MB
Ken, Check out the cable converters at the following link.  I think they cover what you're doing.  I bought my external antenna from this company. They're priced well and they ship very fast.

Good luck,

Tom Riley
'04 26 RB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48087
A Froogle search on 'bnc to mcx adapter' turned up bunches of hits. Give it a try!

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Short Cable to Garmin 2610
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48101
On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 17:43 +0000, krangerx wrote:

I have a 12 ft coax with BNC (female) connectors at both ends, so I can actually get the cable up the dash to the GPS, but I can't find a converter from BNC (female or male) to MCX (male).

Or have you in some other way solved the problem of finding a cable to extend the reach of the Mighty Mouse II antenna lead all the way to the Garmin 2610, and with the right (MCX Male) connector at the far end?
Ken,

Here is a place to get them:
 http://www.gilsson.com/antennas.htm

Look at rightmost column of stuff.

I have no personal experience with this company.

Alex Rutchka '05MB Gonnabee

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48128
Tom (& Andy & Alex) -
 Thanks for the URL pointers!  I've now ordered a BNC to MCX adapter, and will see if that solves my external antenna connection problem.

One of my uncertainties was caused by my unfamiliarity with MCX connectors.  I didn't know if they came