Skip to main content
Topic: 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48116
Shirl -
 The 23.5 foot front lounge model at LD has carpet in the bathroom area.

I wish it did not but I do not believe we have a choice.

If we do have a choice I will spend the 50/75 dollars for an order change to have it tiled with the same tile looking floor covering in the kitchen area.

Does anyone know - I should have asked when ordering but based on traffic here I assumed there were things to hide under the carpet in the bath area and that carpet was required.
 John Pochodowicz (No longer a wanta-to-be, now a not soon-enough-to-be) 23.5 FD

Re: 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48125
wrote:

The 23.5 foot front lounge model at LD has carpet in the bathroom area. I wish it did not but I do not believe we have a choice.
 While LD may make one or two positive design/equipment changes every couple of years, carpeting a bath area is *not* one of them! IMO, flooring in kitchen/dining/bath areas should be limited to vinyl (or cement with a drain hole!) In fact, I'd prefer an all-vinyl flooring option; throw rugs are cheap and washable.

I can't think why LD has "retro-ed" to carpeting the bath; it's a dumb move, and if you can get them to put in the vinyl instead, do so!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48127
"carpeting a bath area is *not* one of them! IMO, flooring in kitchen/dining/bath areas should be limited to vinyl"
 I agree--putting absorbent floor coverings in these two areas makes no sense. I ripped out the carpeting in Gertie's bathroom and replaced it with vinyl tiles. In the kitchen, I used a cut-down vinyl chair mat to protect the carpeting from spills while still letting it show through. I hope the factory will reconsider this unfortunate design change.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48132
At 02:43 PM 12/21/2004 +0000, you wrote:

I hope the factory will reconsider this unfortunate design change.
We have carpeting all the way through from front to rear in our 1980 RB, and I believe it is original. I guess sometime after 1980, they went to vinyl in baths and/or kitchens, then reverted to the carpet?

Sonsie

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48144
At 05:07 PM 12/21/2004 +0000, you wrote:

I do not think there has been a reversal in desing to put in more carpet. There has been a migration to less carpet and more vinyl over the years, just slow t change and still not enough hard surface in some persons opinions.
That was an interesting history of carpeting! I guess we are happy with all carpet, though we would like to replace the decades-old high/low sculptured stuff with something more modern. I spend a lot of time barefoot, and the carpet feels good, plus it is a wonderful shade of "dirt brown" that hides a multitude of sins. :-)
 Since we are going to be in the market for a newer LD shortly, I'll leave any changes to the new owner. But it certainly opens the door for future plans to think one might replace the carpeting in some areas with vinyl or even laminated flooring.

Sonsie

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 48159
Good point Sonsie, I like to go barefoot too.

Sounds like the bath has always had carpet.  And I'm sure it more comfortable when weather is cold.

Thanks again

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 48181
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!  I for one like carpeting in the bathroom.  In fact I asked Steve for it.  He said that the 23.5 came with it.  I do not like "vinyl"  or "linoleum"  or whatever you want to call it.  It reminds me of cheap apartments of the 60's.  Carpeting is warm, soft and you can always put down throw rugs if you worry about keeping it clean, which I do.  It is not a problem  keeping it clean.

Pat (Mac) Sunny, warm, (at least for a while) No Calif

--- Original Message ----- From: Andy Baird
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:43 AM
 Subject: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet

"carpeting a bath area is *not* one of them! IMO, flooring in kitchen/dining/bath areas should be limited to vinyl"
 I agree--putting absorbent floor coverings in these two areas makes no sense. I ripped out the carpeting in Gertie's bathroom and replaced it with vinyl tiles. In the kitchen, I used a cut-down vinyl chair mat to protect the carpeting from spills while still letting it show through. I hope the factory will reconsider this unfortunate design change.

Andy Baird

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 48206
"p.macias"  wrote: "Hey!!!!!!!!!!!  I for one like carpeting in the bathroom.  In fact I asked Steve for it.  He said that the 23.5 came with it.  I do not like "vinyl"  or "linoleum"  or whatever you want to call it.  It reminds me of cheap apartments of the 60's.  Carpeting is warm, soft and you can always put down throw rugs if you worry about keeping it clean, which I do.  It is not a problem  keeping it clean."

My dislike of bath-area carpeting comes much more from a concern about potential water/moisture damage and mold growth than from any difficulty of keeping the carpet clean.  Bath areas are moist environments; the steam created from showering, water "splashes" on the floor from showering or using the wash bowl, and/or leaks around the base of the toilet are easily noticed and wiped up with vinyl flooring – not necessarily so with carpet.  Carpeting and padding retain moisture, and in fact, can conceal a slow leak from around the toilet base; the "water" can seep into the carpeting and padding and not be noticed for some time, especially if the rig is not being used.  Mold *will* grow quickly in damp carpeting and padding, and will even penetrate the subflooring if the cause of the moisture is not corrected and the damage repaired.

IMO, carpet and RVs aren't compatible; vinyl flooring is wet-proof and so much easier to keep looking presentable.  But, people's likes and dislikes (and the reasons for same) are all over the lot, so whatever works for another is OK by me!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 48254
wingale2002?, henry?,

I added your comments on carpet (with your disclaimer) to the LD Changes File.

Barry 2001 RB TX (NM)

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: 05 FL/FD Bath Carpet
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 48268
I looked that the models at the factory yesterday and noticed that the 26.5 rear bath has no carpeting in the kitchen or bath.  The 23.5 FL/FD still has carpeting, with vinyl around the toilet matching that of the kitchen.