Skip to main content
Topic: New member, long time owner (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
New member, long time owner
Yahoo Message Number: 47413
My son directed me to this site. We've owned a Lazy Daze since 1989 and if anyone who has bought a rig since early 1995 was shown that video of the rolled Lazy Daze, that was ours. That rig is also why I told my insurance company that I would NOT settle for a lesser motorhome.

Tom

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] New member, long time owner
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 47420
OMG!!!! That video is standard viewing at the factory!  When I tell people about our LD, I always tell them about the video & they are always impressed by the strength of the coach! How old was it when it rolled?  Did they deprciaiate it & how much?  How much damage was there inside? Was the cabover portion movable after the accident, or did it move to that position & stay, solid?

tlgatchell wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 47484
Tom -

That is quite an account of the accident!

I felt like I just went through it with you again.

Jed

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:05:15 -0000, tlgatchell steeragemate@...> wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 47503
Jed,

It was a learning experience but I never want to do it again.

Tom

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 47510
Thank You for giving substance to "The Legend of the Rollover".  That video & your story has convinced many people to go w/ an LD instead of a lesser brand.  I've seen some Class B's that have survived accidents reasonably intact, but most Class C's & all Class A's are (imvho) death traps; except maybe the big bus types, don't know about them.  I don't begrudge anyone's right to choose a Class A, but I put it in the same class as riding a motorcycle w/out a helmet.

YMMV & that's OK.

tlgatchell wrote:

The rig was an 89 22' and it was lost in 1995. I had drifted into the birm (never start a trip after being up 32 hours!) with several inches of drop and when I carefully steered back onto the road the front wheels of my towed vehicle (90 Ford Ranger) snapped completely into a turn. Needless to say our motor home we own today is a Lazy Daze. My "Firesider" caravan mates were all very supportive and helped us through this unfortunate BUT preventable time. We never were in a hurry to leave on a trip again without being rested.
Tom

My son directed me to this site. We've owned a Lazy Daze since 1989 and if anyone who has bought a rig since early 1995 was shown that video of the rolled Lazy Daze, that was ours. That rig is also why I told my insurance company that I would NOT settle for a lesser motorhome.

Tom
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 47531
Tom wrote: (snip) . . . if anyone who has bought a rig since early 1995 was shown that video of the rolled Lazy Daze, that was ours . . .
 Whoo-hoo, Tom! That was an E-Ticket ride if I ever saw one. Sure glad you guys were smart enough to buy that LD in the first place, so you're still here to talk about it, in the second place!! Thanks for joining our little group. You're a well-known icon around these parts.

Sarah

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 47552
Thanks but it wasn't my plan to be known for that tape. I understand Paul used that tape and it helped them get the top crash/roll-over ratings for Lazy Daze motorhomes. Glad I could help ... I think.

Tom

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 47562
(snip) . . . and a steak knife was stuck in the ceiling above my wife's head.
 Tom - Well, this does it for me. I've kept the knives on a very strong magnate in the kitchen area. More than one of my buddies on this list have said that they would take them down every time they traveled - that they could become flying missiles in a crash. Well, of course, I was smarter (can you spell that s-t-u-p-i-d?) than they, so I didn't do it. You've delivered the proverbial 'whack on the side of the head', and for that, I thank you. From this moment forward, the knives come down, get rolled up in a towel, and stuffed into a tight spot somewhere.
 The last person I remember telling me to do this is Don, from Bellevue, WA. You were right, Don! I should have listened!
 Thanks so much for sharing all these details, not just the steak knife part -

Sarah Confession may actually be good for the soul?