Skip to main content
Topic: hi all (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
hi all
Yahoo Message Number: 47387
Just last week when I was at the Lazy Daze factory, I was told about this list.  How silly of me to not do a search of yahoo when I got my used LD in late May of 2000.  All this time I'd been thinking there was only a list for the owners of new LD's.
 As an introduction, I live in southern New Mexico and use my LD primarily to attend dog shows.  I average approx. 14,000 miles per year.  I've got a 1992, 26.5 foot mid-bath model and it currently has 111,000 miles.
 I'm seriously thinking about buying a new LD.  If I do buy new, I'm thinking about the 26.5 foot rear bath.  Any thoughts?

Also, am wondering about the pros/cons of the following options:

Bilstein shocks Remote mounted CB radio 10 disc CD changer Solar panel(s) - I'm thinking about getting two 15,000 BTU air conditioner Outside shower Gray faus leather cab seats
 Thank you in advance for any thoughts you're willing to share!  Personal replies are fine.

pam

Re: hi all
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 47582

Bilstein shocks Remote mounted CB radio 10 disc CD changer Solar panel(s) - I'm thinking about getting two 15,000 BTU air conditioner Outside shower Gray faus leather cab seats

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you're willing to share! Personal replies are fine.

pam
Hi Pam,

We have a 2002 26.5 MB with 40,000 miles with most of the options you inquire about. We would get most of them again including the Bilsteins and the faus leather seat covers, but share the following comments regarding the others.

Not sure what you mean by a "remote mounted" CB, but I recommend getting one with the 7 NOAA weather channels.  It costs a little more but is an important safety device.  While on the freeway in Illinois 2 years ago, we were automatically alerted of a tornado warning  and were able to detour and avoid the nearby storm area. If Ed doesn't offer one, have him prewire and buy after-market.
Portable handheld units are not as effective, especially for the party you are talking to.

Get the larger A/C unit; our home is in Yuma and we wish we had.
 We used the 10 CD changer a lot -- until we added XM. In addition to beau coup music and talk radio, XM now has real time traffic and weather reports for the major metro areas which we find ourselves driving through all too much.  Consider satellite radio in lieu of the changer.

We only installed one solar panel, and wish we had gotten two, especially this time of year.

If you are sure you will use the outside shower, go for it.  We thought we would, but haven't. Our 16-# dog gets washed in the shower-tub inside. On the MB floor plan, the outside shower is mounted on the left side and away from the entry door which isn't too handy.   Also, if you camp in freezing weather, the outside shower is the most vulnerable exposure of the water system, and you might want to add an internal shutoff so you could drain it when not in use-- in fact, I recommend doing that anyhow as it shouldn't cost much. The most time I spent with the outside shower was when the valve had to be replaced after it developed a leak.  On our coach there is no internal shutoff valve so we were out of coach water until we could get it fixed.  I now carry the parts to cut off that plumbing should it happen again.

Good luck!

Bob

Re: CB option
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 47589
"Not sure what you mean by a 'remote mounted' CB, but I recommend getting one with the 7 NOAA weather channels."

Amen! A weather radio can be a literal lifesaver.
 The "remote mounted" CB unit refers to the Cobra 75 WX ST model that Lazy Daze has been offering for some years now (also widely available for aftermarket installation--I put one in Gertie). It consists of a microphone that has all the controls, plus a small nondescript box that mounts in some out of the way place and has power, antenna and speaker connections. That's what is meant by "remote mount."
 And yes, the Cobra 75 WX ST has a built-in weather radio (that's what "WX" stands for) that works very well. It's an excellent unit all around, and I recommend it highly.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: CB option
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 47594
For those DIY types, or those considering the amount of after-market labor to install a CB - - the only thing difficult about the LD CB install would be running the antenna coax from the dash to the roof mounted antenna. LD charges a premium for the CB (and I sprung for it!). If they would add "install a CB antenna and route coax to dash" option to their "stealth list" , then this would be the way to go (g).

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Re: hi all
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 47658
In September I ordered a 26.5 MB (now waiting for it) with many of the options you mentioned.  My rationale for ordering them was:

Bilstein shocks
Ordered these.  In my opinion this was an absolute necessity as our rig will see a lot of "back road" use.

Remote mounted CB radio
Did not order. I have a "standard box" Cobra CB unit in my towed vehicle and I can now operate it strictly by feel.  Intend to install an identical unit in the LD.  Also, I have small hands.  The combined mike & control head on the CB that LD sells is larger than the conventional mike.  It didn't feel good in my hand.

10 disc CD changer
Did not order.  As far as I know this is an attachment for the standard Sony FM/AM/CD player that comes in the LD and it mounts remotely, probably in one of the cabinets.  You can purchase the same or similar units from Crutchfield and others, however, you have to do your own installation.  I may do this or I may add an MP3 player.

Solar panel(s) - I'm thinking about getting two
I ordered two.  We boondock a lot and I am don't really like running the genset in quiet places.

15,000 BTU air conditioner
Ordered.  We spend time in the desert and other warm places.

Outside shower
Ordered, even though it is on the left rear corner of rig.  We have one on our existing rig in the same location.  It gets used for two things: (1) wash down the sewer hose when we dump where there is no water available, and to wash my hands after dumping;  (2) to wash my "french press" coffee maker. Cleaning it usually makes some mess so try to do it outside.

Gray faus leather cab seats
Ordered because I didn't like the fabric seats.  Depending on how they feel while driving the rig for long periods, I may elect to install sheepskin or other seat covers on them.

Doug

hi all
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 47412
There have been extensive discussions on both these topics recently, options more than floor plan.  You can either read thru the posts or go to our excellant new resource http://www.lazydazers.org/ & do a search there.
As to floor plan, it depends on what you plan to do w/ your LD.  The rear bath has a good sized shower & is very open.  The open floor plan might be very important to you if you have crates of dogs to carry.  the MidBath & Rear Kitchen models are great for so many of us.  They give 2 seperate rooms (important for when you need a seperate space from the person you're traveling w/.)  W/ the MB there is a very good seperate bedroom for guests, w/ the RK there is a very good excuse why you can't take guests (the best bed for them is right under the cabover bed & we'd step on them during those nightly bathroom trips.  :0 As so many have said, it just depends on how you will use it.  Welocme to the group.  Glad that you finally showed up! :-)

Pam Smith wrote:

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] hi all
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 47465
Pam - howdy from another New Mexican. Pete and I live north of Albuquerque in a burb called Placitas.
 We have a Rear Bath and love it. I have a dog-friend who shows Great Danes and uses her RB to take her dogs everyplace, and her license plate/vanity plate's DANECR8. Clever, huh?

Sarah Fredricksburg, TX