Skip to main content
Topic: Gurgling toilet! (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Gurgling toilet!
Yahoo Message Number: 47300
Hi all,

As usual I am looking for a little help! The toilet in my MB is spitting water up into the bathroom when it is flushed, like there was an air bubble in the tank, and after it is flushed it makes a gurglying sound! The sensors that tell when it is full are not acurate, but I dumped thinking the tank was full. It didn't help. I looked at the vent pipe on the roof and I don't think it looks any different than usual. I bought the special hose to clean out this black tank when at the Mothership last week but haven't used it yet.
I am only using rid-x in the tank. Is it not doing a good job keeping it clean?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shirley

Re: Gurgling toilet!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 47303
"Shirley Fritz"  wrote:

I am only using rid-x in the tank. Is it not doing a good job keeping it clean?

I'm sorry that I can't help with the "gurgling and spitting" toilet mystery (but do check the vent pipe again very carefully to make sure that nothing is blocking it!), but Rid-X is designed for use in in-ground septic systems, and doesn't work well in RVs; try the "Pure Power" -- http://phasefourindustries.com/Prod.html (scroll down to the product description) or Eco-Save.

Hope you get an answer!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 47318
The toilet in my MB is spitting water up into the bathroom when it is flushed, like there was an air bubble in the tank, and after it is flushed it makes a gurglying sound!
Hi Shirley, We had this happen on our MB also.  I'm afraid to tell you that most likely there is "stuff" stuck somewhere in the pipe between the toilet and the tank.  To clear the clog, we ran a garden hose down through the toilet opening (no nozzle attached) as far as it would go and turned on the water full force.  Be prepared for water to shoot back at you (it helps to release the foot pedal at the same time so the toilet valve partially closes on the hose.)

If this doesn't clear the clog try gently pushing up and down on the hose to get it deeper down the pipe while the water is on.
This will help to push things along.  Because the MB's pipe has a bend in it from toilet to tank, it's seems to be more susceptible to clogs.

Good luck, wear gloves, have towels handy -- it can be messy.

Chris W.

P.S.  We thought about using the Flush King flexible wand, but
were concerned that the rotating head might damage the pipe.

Any other folks solve this problem in a cleaner way?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 47329
The toilet in my MB is spitting water up into the bathroom when it is flushed, like there was an air bubble in the tank, and after it is flushed it makes a gurglying sound!

Hi Shirley, We had this happen on our MB also.  I'm afraid to tell you that most likely there is "stuff" stuck somewhere in the pipe between the toilet and the tank.  To clear the clog, we ran a garden hose down through the toilet opening (no nozzle attached) as far as it would go and turned on the water full force.  Be prepared for water to shoot back at you (it helps to release the foot pedal at the same time so the toilet valve partially closes on the hose.)

If this doesn't clear the clog try gently pushing up and down on the hose to get it deeper down the pipe while the water is on.
This will help to push things along.  Because the MB's pipe has a bend in it from toilet to tank, it's seems to be more susceptible to clogs.
I agree with Chris.  We've had a couple of clogs in the pipe between the toilet and the tank.  This seems to be a matter of trying to conserve water too much.  Use plenty of water when flushing to insure that everything (TP especially) gets flushed all the way into the tank.  The best solution is a flexible tank wand on a water hose being pushed down into the tank.  I carry a small plumbers snake that can be used when we don't have access to a water tap.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 47333
Thanks for all the suggestions. Tomorrow I'll get out the boots, rubber gloves, and googles and tackle that thing.

I am probably not using much water, and I'll try that Pure Power, too.

Thanks again.

Shirley

Gurgling toilet!
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 47313
Rid-X is designed for use in in-ground septic systems, and doesn't work well in RVs; try the "Pure Power" -- or Eco-Save.

I agree with Joan -- Rid-X doesn't sit in a black tank long enough to really do any good.  We use Pure Power and have been happy with it.  I've heard that Eco-Save is also good, but have never found any place to buy it other than online...which isn't an option when we're traveling during the summer.

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Gurgling toilet!
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 47321
"We use Pure Power and have been happy with it.  I've heard

that Eco-Save is also good, but have never found any place to buy
it other

than online...which isn't an option when we're traveling during
the summer."

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
TWIMC

Last summer, before our trip from California to Massachusetts and back, we purged our black tank of the ugly 'blue' stuff and started using "Digest-It". Our conclusion was that it did a very good job of digesting the waste but did little if anything for the odor. Next we tried "Pure Power" with essentially the same results. Then in Mass. we purchased a bottle of Eco-Save (scented) at a campground against a future need. When that need arrived we discovered that the Eco- Save did a comparable job of reducing the waste and had the added bonus of eliminating the smells. We will therefore continue to use the stuff that works. At the Eco-Save web site you can print a list (by state) where their products can be purchased. No, I don't own stock in the company but I do know s__t from shinola.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!