Skip to main content
Topic: Dog-House Apron (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Dog-House Apron
Yahoo Message Number: 47280
I am in desperate need of an apron to store "must-have-handy" items while driving. Can anyone please suggest where I might find such an item and the best means of attaching it to the doghouse?

Thanks very much, Paul

Re: Dog-House Apron
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 47289
"Paul Wood"  wrote: I am in desperate need of an apron to store "must-have-handy" items while driving. Can anyone please suggest where I might find such an item and the best means of attaching it to the doghouse?

I haven't been able to find anything like a "doghouse apron" commercially, so am designing one (made from a sturdy tightly-woven denim-type fabric) with pockets for the stuff I need to keep handy in the cab.  I plan (at this point, anyway!) to attach the apron to the existing cup holder set-up with a Velcro product called "Half and Half" -- one half is sticky-backed hook, the other is sew-on loop. I bought a few packages (the tape is 1" wide and comes pre- packed in 18" lengths) at an Ace Hardware.  You might want to google "Velcro Half and Half" and see if any sources come up.

I think that someone on this board has also made an apron, and has posted photos; you could check and see. Also, some people use an "over the car seat back" apron and hang it from the cup holder with the strap.  I tried this and it wasn't satisfactory for me, but it apparently works for some.  If my project is successful, I'll post a photo!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 47306
I am in desperate need of an apron to store "must-have-handy" items while driving. Can anyone please suggest where I might find such an item and the best means of attaching it to the doghouse?

Thanks very much, Paul
Paul...

I'd mentioned in a posting weeks ago - you were probably on the road - that we found a very adequate saddle-bag type of bag at WalMart a couple years ago after we took delivery of our RB in '02.
 It was in the car accessories area, and I think it is sold as a seat- back pack.  It fits perfectly under the coffee cup holders and is held in place with its adjustable strap between the doghouse and the coffee cup holes.  It has one central deep pocket (good for candy, cookies, maps, etc), with only a 1/3 length flap cover, so there's easy access to the central pocket.  There's also a small front bottom split pocket, great for fuses and other small items.
Finally, and this is a great feature, there are little mesh pockets on each side - perfect for sunglasses, cell phone, etc.

I'm not sure they're still sold there, but it's worth a try ... if you can avoid the Christmas shoppers :-).    Good luck.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 47310
JC Whitney has one that might work. Here is the url: http://tinyurl.com/436cl

The concept is OK, but this item is 38.5" long; the outside edge measurement of the cup holder is 22.5".

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 47311
  items while driving. Can anyone please suggest where I might find such an item and the best means of attaching it to the doghouse? >>>>
You have me now thinking of doing the same thing, using a detachable one that could be hung from the console using straps or snap fasteners, and here are a couple more I came across: http://tinyurl.com/5nsuo http://tinyurl.com/5e9wz

These are sold as seat-back organizers, but like the one from JC Whitney, could probably be modified to fit on or around the front console. It would be nice to hear from anyone else who has done this.

Will

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 47316
Do a Froogle search on 'cd backseat organizer'. You'll find lots of different ones. Many will be too large, but that's not a problem--just cut them down.
 The two that Will suggested--http://tinyurl.com/5nsuo> and http://tinyurl.com/ 5e9wz>--are both excellent and are very similar to ones I use in various places. (I don't have one on the doghouse, because my old Chevy console has ample storage space.) The key is not to expect to find something that will fit your space perfectly--just buy whatever looks good and cut it down to size.
 For mounting, I recommend you buy large snap fasteners and mount the nipples to the doghouse cover with self-tapping sheet metal screws. That's how I mounted one of these on my passenger-side seatback.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 47323

I am in desperate need of an apron to store "must-have-handy" items while driving.
we found a very adequate saddle-bag type of bag at

WalMart a couple years ago after we took delivery of our RB in '02.

It was in the car accessories area, and I think it is sold as a
seat-

back pack.  It fits perfectly under the coffee cup holders and is held in place with its adjustable strap between the doghouse and the coffee cup holes.  It has one central deep pocket (good for
candy,

cookies, maps, etc), with only a 1/3 length flap cover, so there's easy access to the central pocket.  There's also a small front bottom split pocket, great for fuses and other small items.
Finally, and this is a great feature, there are little mesh pockets on each side - perfect for sunglasses, cell phone, etc.
Paul, I would like to add my agreement with what "Missayla2" posted above in response to your inquiry.

I bought the same bag in May of 2003.
The bag is very inexpensive. It is small (12"X10")and does not intrude into the passageway. It is black and goes well with the grey dash color.  It has two staggered pockets in front.  One is deep enough for travel guide books or full-page checklists, but would not accomodate a full sized Rand McNally Road Atlas. The second holds a folded road map conveniently.  I used the passenger-side mesh pocket to hold a flashlight and the driver-side mesh pocket to store my tire gage which was easily accessible even while standing outside the open driver side door.
Our bag hung for a year from that small area between the doghouse fabric and the coffee cup holders and never got in the way.  It worked well for us.
Nate Walker Tacoma

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 47328
"Paul Wood"  wrote: I am in desperate need of an apron to store "must-have-handy" items while driving. Can anyone please suggest where I might find such  an item and the best means of attaching it to the doghouse?"

Paul, go to the Photos section and look under "Jonna's Tortuga" and one of the 1st photos is of a "seat back organizer" which is hanging on the doghouse.  I have one just like it and got it at either Brookstone or Sharper Image.  However, in searching both their Websites, I can't find that item.  You may have better luck.  It works very well and needs no attaching; it just hangs there.

Chris Horst
2002 30'IB
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 47332
The key is not to expect to find something that will fit your space
perfectly--just buy whatever

looks good and cut it down to size.

Andy Baird
Some of the "bucket Boss" products on Amazon might be adaptable to your purpose:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001LQY26/104-3779106- 2440711?v=glance&s=hi&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures
 Search Amazon for "utility belt" and "tool caddy" or "tool tote" for many more examples.

A simple canvas nail apron from the hardware store would be a cheap versatile solution - if not too ugly.

Mike
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 47336
Oops!  I posted before I got to your post Chris.  It was Brookstone but I haven't looked for one lately

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 47340
I posted a long response to this question some time ago, in Msg # 26476, so I won't repeat it here.  It might work for some folks, anyway.

Sharon N.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 47345
"Some of the 'Bucket Boss' products on Amazon might be adaptable to your purpose..."
 Excellent suggestion! For their complete product lineup, see  www.bucketboss.com/>. One of their "waist aprons" might be a good candidate.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 47748
Hi, Paul,

We found a neat little light canvas gadget at a Camping World last year that holds a variety of stuff.  I mounted it under the lip of the cup-holder using metal snaps, so it is removeable.  You can see it on my web site (www.fobria.com/toad/index.htm, click on "LD Enhancements").  And you can see it in-person at Gamble Rogers nedxt month.  Looking forward to seeing you there.

Ted H.
'02 FL  NE12

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 47945
"I am in desperate need of an apron to store "must-have-handy" items while driving..."

Paul

Paul and all you un-happy Lazy Dazers out there...

I think I've found what you're looking for, the Ultimate Dog-House Apron. Call 1-800-505-8888 or go to the company's web site at
www. DuluthTrading.com ask or search for Item #96720, the "Cab Commander" (appropriate name). If this does not qualify for the best "must-have-handy" item organizer then I don't know what would.

Now if I could only figure out how they got my address...

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 47951
I think I've found what you're looking for, the Ultimate Dog-House Apron. Call 1-800-505-8888 or go to the company's web site at
www. DuluthTrading.com ask or search for Item #96720, the "Cab Commander" (appropriate name). If this does not qualify for the best "must-have-handy" item organizer then I don't know what would.

Now if I could only figure out how they got my address...

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Hey, Steve, that looks good.  Thanks for remembering my post.

Paul