Skip to main content
Topic: planning a mid-July LD visit (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
planning a mid-July LD visit
Yahoo Message Number: 69
My wife and I are starting to look for good deals for flights to Ontario CA mid-July for a Saturday Lazy Daze plant visit. It should be a fun weekend trip. I want to have a last sanity check before I put down a deposit.

We just got back from a local RV dealer. Of the class C's on the lot, I liked the Safari 30 ft the best. It looked good and seemed to have good quality. The emphasis on "seemed." I asked the salesmem about cold weather camping and he said the disadvantage of aluminum skinned RV's is keeping the cold out.
He said the insulation was 1/16" thick and that he wouldn't use the Safari below 17 degrees. At least he was being honest. I don't know if cold camping is in our plans, but it seems that, if the insulation is weak, we might also have problems keeping cool in the summer.
Lazy Daze boasts of thick insulation in their walls, a good selling point.

Another bad sign was that after poking around, there were a couple of items in the Safari that would need to be fixed before we took it off of the lot. Not a good sign. The other RVs on the lot were Thors. The Thors were just OK, nothing got us excited.

Anyway, we came home and decided to stick with our original plan. Get the wheels rolling on building a Lazy Daze in mid-July with a spring 2001 pick up.

Another thing about the Safari.
It had an island queen bed in the back with two windows side-to-side. I didn't like the fact that they left the back wall blank. If you aren't going to use the area for storage, it seems that you could put in a window. But, a minor touch I liked was exterior canopies for the back windows. The salesman said that it really help keep the heat out.

Which brings me to my question. We have decided that we like the Lazy Daze 26.5' mid-bath because we like the windowed area in the back. I notice that one of the founders has an older similar model. To lifethecat or anyone else with experience with this model, does this green house area have troubles with getting hot and being cooled by the AC?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 70
First of all, verify with the factory that they conduct tours on Saturdays. Last I heard, they are open, but the manufacturing portion does not work weekends.

The Lazy Daze is designed to facilitate cold weather camping, as I'm sure you already know. The insulation is double thickness, the windows are dual pane, and all plumbing is run internally. You should have no problems in that regard.

I can't comment on the Safari, but I think you'll be impressed with the quality of the Lazy Daze. Remember, it's the ONLY class C rated 5 stars from the RVCG, and J.D. Gallant is not an easy man to impress! I hope you test drove the Safari so you can make a good comparison when you drive the LD.

I am one of those with windows on three sides in the rear. The (very) dark tinting that LD uses in the windows reflects well over 90 percent of the UV rays; however, I do recommend closing the shade on the sunny side windows to maximize cooling. I also recommend you get a heavy blanket or sleeping bag to hang between the cab and coach while camping, as the Ford cab does not come well insulated. Lazy Daze will insist you take home your new owner's manual when you order so you can familiarize yourself with the motorhome. The manual will probably mention the blanket idea. This idea is also good for winter camping to limit heat loss.
Greg
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: planning a mid-July LD visit
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 78837
Regarding hanging a blanket to ward of the cold from the cab.  I use the sunshades (aluminum type) bought 2 of them and cut one in half; using the large one for trucks put that in the   windshield and the 2 halves one on each window of the cab.  Then pull the drape across and voile! you have a more open feel and it does the same thing.
Betty Jean in Circus Wagon 26.5RB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 71
My wife and I visited the Lazy Daze factory on a Saturday. The factory was not operating; but the showroom was open and we were able to tour all of the models and have all of our questions answered. We did a test drive of the 30 ft model and ordered one. At that time, delivery was out to November, so you may have to wait a while. Based on everything I've seen and read, its worth the wait.
Dick Allen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 72
The extreme tinting of the windows makes for less work for the air conditioner to cool you down. Also two other consequences:

- In the daytime, you can see out fine and plenty of illumination comes in on sunny days - yet you have a lot of privacy. It is very difficult to see in.

Our LD is an '83 and came with no insulating or heating options for the gray or black tanks. I believe this is an option with the new models. If you intend on winter use, you'll do best to get it.

I have liked the Safaris I have seen, but I have also heard horror stories about poor factory response to problems. I also do not like the lack of an LP oven in their models.

Steve

- As evening approaches, or on overcast days, it gets dim inside much more quickly than with the light tinting typical with other m'homes.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 73
First, the mid-July visit has now moved up to mid-June. Instant gratification is becoming harder and harder to overcome.

Really appreciate the responses. Touring the factory can't hurt, will adjust the schedule to visit Friday afternoon. Also, we will have Saturday to explore, not the factory, but the area. After all, we do have the traveler's spirit.

We ordered the video and received it today. Well worth the $10, which we will have deducted from the price of the RV, so we have that going for us.

Watched the LD video a couple of times. It does help.

The tip about the blanket was good. We have a lot of tent camping experience and rented a class C once, but we are newbies when it comes to the little tips and maintainence.

Thanks again.